Author Topic: Bow for my bro?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Bow for my bro?
« on: November 23, 2012, 08:11:39 pm »
So yes I make bows but my bro in law is very very impatient, he's got the archery bug and wants a 45 to 55 pound bow that draws 28".  I don't have the time to make him one right now because I'm busy with school and home life :(. My sis wants to buy him a glass bow but I have convinced her not to for the moment.  Do any of you proficient bowyers have anything in that range that you'd let go? They just had a new baby so I'm thinkin a hundred bucks is all they can afford to spend but I've got some sweet staves.  I'll have to take pics later but I have ocean spray vine maple and a couple shorty yew boards:). Hope y'all had a great turkey day
Sam

Offline aaron

Re: Bow for my bro?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 10:14:07 pm »
you must be in oregon, no?
how soon do you want the bow?
can you post pics of staves?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:46:34 pm »
Yes I'm in the great state of Oregon!  My sis wants to get it for him by Christmas and ill try to post pics tonight or tomorrow where are you located Aaron?

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 09:56:02 pm »
I'm in ilwaco washington. (astoria)
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 03:09:52 pm »
Cool, my dad used to deliver fish there.  Never been to that part of the coast myself.  I forgot to take the pics but I'll do my best to get it done tonight.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 06:27:15 am »
Well here finally!  Last week of class... The reflexes os has 5 " reflex and is about 59" long with one crack.  I haven't moisture tested it but it was cut this fall so who knows.  The small end is 1 1/4" in diameter.  The other os is from the same batch.  It's 1 7/8" in diam at the place where it looks like a bow.  It's 56" long and has some nice cracks but if it turns out its a nice piece.  The yew is from old sawn stock I came across so the angle of the sapwood back to the flat part of the board is pretty extreme. It's 1 1/4" for the most part width wise on the sapwood, which has a couple small cracks.   I was thinking about going edge grain and backing it with sinew or bamboo.  There's about 56" that look like good stuff.  Looks like just under 25 rpi.  The vine maple blank should be dry by now it was cut last summer and roughed out.  It's in west coast native form but wrapping the tape around the crown it's 1 7/8 at the handle and 2 1/4 at the widest point.  Pretty rough yet. 52 1/4"long with some nice knottage.  The cascara or chittum is roughed out, has aknot in the center right above the handle.  It's 61" long if straightened.  2 1/2 at fades to 10" from tips straight taper to 1/2".  The juniper has a couple of bug marks but it looks like they're by the handle and only a couple five rings deep.  This is some tight ringed stuff.  Got some knots but they're pretty small and not terribly close to any edges.  It's about 55 1/4" long and 1 1/2" handle with a 5" fade to 2" tapers to 1 1/2" about 7" from tips down to 5/8" tips.  Got a natural reflex deflex goin almost.  That log I don't know it's seasoned yet but it's vm too.  Thanks sorry it took so long! :)  poo I've tried posting this many times and my pics are too big and I'm on a confounded iPhone.  Ill post the link here http://s1095.beta.photobucket.com/user/PeacebowCoos/media/image.jpg.html

Offline aaron

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 08:40:06 pm »
Sam,
I have been working on a bow that i was going to propose for this trade, but it's not going too well- a surprise rotten knot has appeared.... I will ask a few frinds if they have anything, but for now count me out.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA