Author Topic: WERE CAN I GET A WELL MADE HUNGARIAN RECURVE BOW  (Read 3296 times)

Offline ice126

WERE CAN I GET A WELL MADE HUNGARIAN RECURVE BOW
« on: November 21, 2012, 12:36:26 am »
I would like to know if anyone has any experience with Hungarian horse archery bows and who makes the best ones. I have heard rumors that some amazing bows are made by a man by the name of leros Kassai. If anyone has any info on this topic I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: WERE CAN I GET A WELL MADE HUNGARIAN RECURVE BOW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 12:52:36 am »
Check out 3rivers.com

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 01:16:14 am »
You should talk to James Parker, he seems to be our resident expert on asian composite bows. I have no idea what his availability is to make a bow for you but at the very least he could point you in the right direction I'm sure. Good luck.

Offline AngelDeVille

• Internet Archer
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 01:28:31 am »
I like mine from Atillas Archery
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

Offline Scowler

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:55:58 am »
You mean Lajos Kassai?  His company makes replica horsebows and is one of the "founding fathers" of modern Eurasian horse archery.  Check out Horsebows.com  Ed Gilbert is a seller of replica Eurasian horsebows in the U.S.  Csaba Grozer is another maker of fine replica horsebows.  Lukas Novotny, of Saluki Bows makes both authentic horn bows and "hybrid" bows (traditional bows with Eurasian influence)  You may also want to look at the ATARN (Asian Traditional Archery Network) site.  I've owned two Kassai horsebows: the Magyar Sport and the Avar.  Both were well made and good shooters, especially when you consider that they had fiberglass limbs.  I owned a Saluki Genghis Sport at one time.  Excellent bow, very fast, but felt more like a modern traditional bow...at least to me.  Good luck with your search.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 08:24:14 pm »
I believe grozer makes a genuine horn bow, right? I believe they are around 1000 USD. I always wanted one...  ;D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 11:58:37 pm »
I've got a Kassai Magyar Sport.  Kassai stopped making that bow a few years ago.  I've been more than happy with it as a light shooter, 37# at 28".
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 12:48:52 am »
James Parker(Robustus here on PA) makes authentic Asiatic horn bows. Over the last few years he has made 8 or so different varieties of Asiatic horn bows. Contact James. I'm sure he can fix you up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 04:41:04 am »
I can make you one as well. Any style, draw weight etc. Just send me a PM