Author Topic: Holmgaard / Mollegebat  (Read 5138 times)

Offline Weylin

Re: Holmgaard / Mollegebat
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 11:06:12 pm »
I have a set of clean yew billets with a little character and really thin sap wood. The thin sapwood should help keep enough heartwood in the flat working limbs. I want to make my first metal sleeve take down with this bow as well. I'm hoping this yew takedown molly can be my go-to hunting bow. We'll see, but I'm starting to get excited thinking about it.

Offline Shaun

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 12:13:48 am »
I believe yew cannot bend as far as osage and some whitewoods before failure. Failure in osage and whitewoods is more likely to show as set while yew will explode! The lever bow style has a short working limb which has to bend farther proportionally than a long full compass bow. For yew, cedar, juniper or other exploding wood I would want sinew backing on the working limb of a lever style. Also, for fighting armor you need very heavy mass arrows. In general long compass tiller bows push mass better while short limb bows make more speed from moderate weight arrows. My 2 cents...

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 01:09:53 am »
This is an enjoyable post ;) So what is the definite difference between a homie and a molle the amount of working limb or the transition between working limb and lever? and where does 1 cross the line from a pyramid Bow to homie? I have too many questions and hope to remember any answers....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:46:00 am by soy »
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 04:49:11 am »
Ok After doing some link exploring I kinda understand a little bit 01 more question comes to mind The homie on Display Is made of English Elm How does that stack up against slippery elm How would I need to modify the dimensions???aka , wider, longer, flat belly versus the rounded belly... sorry to hijack

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 08:27:00 am »
Ok After doing some link exploring I kinda understand a little bit 01 more question comes to mind The homie on Display Is made of English Elm How does that stack up against slippery elm How would I need to modify the dimensions???aka , wider, longer, flat belly versus the rounded belly... sorry to hijack

Slippery elm is slightly less dense then wych elm,so I'd make it a lil wider or longer of both depending on how dense your certain piece of elm is. Density can vary greatly from one elm to the next in the same species,and some is better than others,but in general all elm is pretty good. Keep your belly flat and heat treat it.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 11:40:39 pm »
Will do thanks ;)