Author Topic: Errors in judgement and execution  (Read 5871 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Errors in judgement and execution
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:46:11 pm »
I have had a couple of good successes in a row and got cocky.  Consequently the Bow Gods decided to knock all that into a cocked hat and handed me my hat and showed me the door on my latest bow. 

It's a hybrid between a ELB and a flatbow.  It's Osage, 69" nock to nock, 1 1/4 wide at the handle tapering to a bit over 3/8 tips, but using a rectangular cross section and a stiff handle.  The cockiness was putting on horn tip overlays before starting tillering.  I underestimated how much thickness the limbs would need to make a decent weight bow.  The bow hinges right outside of the grip area with stiff tips and is pulling waaaaaay too light. 

Since it is a badly mucked job already, I have been tempted to "fix it to death".  I'd like to not have to pike it, but may have to in the end.  Could I sinew the inner 2/3 of the limbs to bring back some rigidity or am I tilting at another windmill?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline steve b.

Re: Errors in judgement and execution
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 11:25:13 pm »
I had a similar problem with a long osage bow but it hinged about 10" below the tip.  I sinewed it which fixed the problem.  I did not sinew the tips but made sure I covered the hinge, of course.  It worked on this bow.  It is a takedown so it was worth the sinew work. 

But I'm not sure about a hinge at the fade.  I'd have to see the extent of damage. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 11:32:29 pm »
My bggest worry is that with this length, there will not be enough bend to actually cause the sinew to "load" up and actually do any real work. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that piking is in my future......AGAIN!

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 11:51:29 pm »
well, if it makes you feel better, i may have to pike mine as well, and by quite a bit too! i have to cut off 15 inches on either limb
i will wind up with a VERY short bow if i do. if i dont i will have to wrap with sinew(common solution to everything ::))
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline John D

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 11:54:48 pm »
Your post subject could be the title of a significant chapter in my memoirs!  May I have permission to use that?  :D

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 12:09:03 am »
jw put a belly lam on it, that will take care of the problem, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 12:33:50 am »
I agree with Bubby I've got a couple in the works I have to put belly lams on..and I feel your pain j dub :(
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 12:55:39 am »
I don't feel comfortable doing a belly lam, plus there is enough character to make that a bit dicey.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 01:16:20 am »
Heat treating reflex would probably bring up the weight maybe a couple pounds. Adding some recurve too maybe? If that would be possible with horn nocks already on? I've piked bows with horn nocks glued on, and drilled out the wood out of the nocks with a knife, and just glued em back on. I don't do the nocks until I have the bow almost completed. I mean burnished and everything, everything except the finish. I use self nocks to tiller and sometimes shoot in the bow before that. When it is time to do the nocks, I use a tooth pick and a pencil, and mark with the pencil how deep each horn nock is. Than, I line up the self nocks and the horn nocks side by side, and mark where the horn nocks will begin when glued on the bow. After that, I take the tooth pick that I previously measured and marked the depth on, line it up with the mark of where the horn nocks will begin on the bow, and mark how deep the bow tips will go into the nocks using the tooth pick. So now I will know where to cut, and also where not to go past when shaping the bow tips.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 01:47:21 am »
what kind of draw length we talking about jdub, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 04:19:02 am »
Heat treat it, make a bendy handle, recurve it and throw some of natures duct tape, sinew, on it. If you wanna try a belly lam, the lam doesnt have to extend the entire belly length of the bow, just maybe 6 inches past the hinge and feather it in...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 10:56:13 am »
Rookie!!!! ..lol  :laugh:

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 12:53:51 pm »
When I read the title, I thought "Oh no I blew it again"  LOL  Just kidding, Looks like some good advice given

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 02:11:00 pm »
JW, just throw it in the corner for awhile.  I've got a special stave I'll send to keep you distracted. >:D

To answer your question, yes you can stiffen a bow up by adding sinew.  When I've done it I sinewed the entire bow and then added extra layers where I wanted the extra stiffness.  If you add enough you can tiller by rasping the sinew in that spot.  However, lately if I mess up I throw the bow away and start over.  It's just wood.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 02:52:44 pm »
Plus one for a short belly lamination.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.