Author Topic: Hawthorn Bow (FINISHED, More pics)  (Read 16304 times)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Hawthorn Bow (FINISHED, More pics)
« on: November 10, 2012, 08:35:26 pm »
So i'm sure you guys are tired of seeing my half-finished bows, but then again i hate waiting for Tung-oil to dry lol.

I got this little Hawthorn sapling about 2 weeks ago, and after a series of wood removal/ heat treating, i got it dry enough to tiller out completely. This is only my second hawthorn bow, and my third try, so now i have a feel for the wood. I really like it, probably even more than Serviceberry.

The back is lightly burnished or boned or whatever. Other than a light sanding that's where it stands, but i need to remove some more wood off the tips, too. However it shoots really nice. It took much less set than some of my recent bows, i'm starting to think heat treating is worthwhile! The back looks like that because after you remove the bark on Hawthorn and many other woods like it, the wood turns a cool orange color after a while, and if you sand it ya get that look.

Since it's not completely done, i'm wondering if i should stain it. I'm willing to try something new, so if you guys have any ideas i will probably try some. (Although i would steer away from really colorful ones.) I was thinking of a grey die made of ashes, do you think that would work?

Anyway, the bow is probably about 54" ntn, and 65/70#@25". It shoots really smooth and flat.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:22:03 pm by Zion »
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Dictionary

Re: Hawthorn Selfbow
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 11:31:41 pm »
your tiller is always spot on and you get quite high draw weights from these short saplings.

impressive
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 12:37:44 am »
i agree! excellent bow! weather or not its finished is not a big deal. you have made enough bows by now that even if you didnt finish them you would have a nice bow at all times.(you must have around 10 or more by now)
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Zion

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 01:08:00 am »
Thanks Muffin and Dictionary!

Yeah Muffin as long as i don't go on a breaking spree i should have some to shoot  ;D

But the constant goal is to make one shoot better than the last of course, so it's pretty much unending   >:D

Dictionary, idk why but for some reason i have more luck with small diam. and higher crowns than with flatter bows. I know it's weird but it's true  :o

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 01:52:52 am »
Man you are sure kicking out some good bows. Well done!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 08:19:56 am »
That's another nice one!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 10:24:29 am »
Well done sweet bow.

Offline Zion

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 01:03:56 pm »
Thanks Keenan, Lesken,and Rob. It's definitely fun to shoot

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 01:07:10 pm »
You could do either a coffee stain, or maybe a blueberry(although they may be hard to get.) ashes could work also.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 01:40:32 pm »
awesome  :-*
Don't shoot!

Offline Zion

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 01:44:44 pm »
Yeah Muffin all of those sound cool but i drink all the coffee before i can do anything else with it  ;D

I'm thinking about doing an ash stain on maybe just the tips and handle, or just the tips, or just the handle.

Thanks Jodocus!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 03:26:48 pm »
Nice bow again Zion, really like the primitive looking style of your bows. I've used finely ground charcoal on a few bows with varied results depending on the species of wood. On a black walnut sapwood back bow it came out sort of blue/gray in color. I have wiped
it on other woods like hickory and elm and had it just fill the pores of the back for a pretty rustic look. Lots of options with finishes,
one of my favorite parts of bow making. Post yours up again after you get it finished, I'd like to see how she turns out.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 05:03:56 pm »
I don't  think wood ash is a good thing to use for stain. It is highly alkaline and might do undesirable things to the wood.

Also, I'm the spoiler here. Your tiller is good enough, but not "spot on." The top limb isn't bending as much as the bottom one in the middle third. Trace  one limb on a sheet of cardboard or plywood and then lay the other  limb on  the tracing. That will make the difference obvious.

Always wanted to try hawthorn. That looks like a fast bow. Nice work.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 05:15:42 pm »
We don't see to many hawthorne bows. Very nice, good poundage too.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Zion

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 05:17:14 pm »
Ash arrow i know what ur saying. I took these pics after i had started shooting it in, and when i saw the pics i was like what the heck happened. So i took a few scrapes at the appropriate places; now i need to do it a bit more. I was planning on refreshing the tiller when i narrow the tips etc, and thanks for noticing, cuz if i hadn't noticed before u said that it could have stayed like that for a while! And what exactly do u mean about the alkaline in wood ash doing bad things to wood?

Greg, i'll do that! Would the stain stay in better if i burnished (boned) it in?

Thanks Hrothgar! I loooove this wood. Has many great properties and i hope to get more soon!