Author Topic: Hickory Eastern Woodlands Style  (Read 11352 times)

Offline Dictionary

Hickory Eastern Woodlands Style
« on: November 10, 2012, 01:07:18 pm »
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 03:15:10 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline JonW

Re: Hickory Eastern Woodlands Style
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 01:09:10 pm »
Nice representation. I like it.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 01:17:29 pm »
Nice and slim, graceful bow.  8)
Don't shoot!

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 01:20:16 pm »
That bow looks good to me and the tiller isnt bad. I also live in very damp  place its often 90-100% moisture for weeks on end in the winter, You just have to keep your bows at the right distance from the wood burner.

If you want some constructive criticism, then if the bow bent very slightly less in the handle  you would have avoided a bit of set, but I think a bit of set is inevitable even with the best made bow, its all about sharing out the stress along the limbs and utilising the length you have working fully
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 02:06:53 pm »
This bow is about 64 inches long. Would overbuilding it, say making it 68-70 inches long pulling at 40 to 45 pounds(my preferred weight) cause less set and make it a snappier shooter?

Less set=better arrow speed yes?

There seems to be many different styles regarding how much bend there should be in the handle. I've seen many acclaimed D bows that show no bend at full draw but they say they can feel it at full draw. If so, then is the handle really handling much of the actual stress of the bow?

This tiller is similar really to the Hadzabe bows but i can't match their circular cross section. Theirs shows most of the bend in the inner limbs it seems. I like this design because it allows more wood to be working meaning less stress on the limbs.

Thank you for the comments. More criticism or help would be great as im still in the learning stages and i'd like to progress.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 02:17:41 pm »
I think your tillers ok..its a lil hard to tell. In the first pic you are nocking  the arrow to low and I think its giving a false read of the tiller,cus the second photo looks great and much better( full compass cresent shape moon). That's the beauty of a d bow is you can shift your holding hand placement or the nocking point,or both and find that "sweet" spot in tiller and shooting. That ought to do the job.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 03:18:04 pm »
Nice bend on that one!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 03:25:34 pm »
Nice job! I'm looking forward to trying an all hickory bow. So far I've only used it as a backing wood.

Most of us tilt our bows when we shoot, but for the tiller pics I make sure to hold it straight up. Even a slight angle can make the tiller look wonky.

Looking forward to your next bow.
Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 04:07:23 pm »
For sapling bows, is it important to try to square off the corners as best as possible for a more smooth arrow release?

Reason i ask is, i've made about 6 arrows so far. I've got a red oak board bow that bends in the handle as well and 2 all 6 arrows shoot well with that bow.

But they sometimes shoot wild with the hickory bow. Im wondering if its because i didnt round off the corners and possible the feather wrappings are hitting the handle area?

im clueless really. As i said im sitll learning  ::). My next will be better. I guarantee it!

-JW_Halverson

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 04:12:57 pm »
Nice one! I love the bend on it too. I should try hickory sometime.
-Peter
Arizona

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 04:39:42 pm »
Tiller looks good. Rounding all 4 corners insures longevity. That way it is less likely to pull up a splinter. I think at 64" for a 25" draw the length is good. Making it a little wider would give you more weight. Hickory is very susceptible to humidity.Keep it in as dry an environment as you can. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 05:40:40 pm »
I think it looks quite good! Really nice simple stick! That's the best kind.

Jon

Offline Traxx

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 06:05:57 pm »
I think the tiller looks good,for that design of bow.I dont think that is too much follow either.Yes,your humidity,will affect the amount in a wood like Hickory,which is very hydroscopic,but even then,i see much worse in other bows,so id say you did quite well.
Hickory is a great,if not the best wood,in a dry climate like mine,but in high humidity like yours,they can be a bit sluggish without climate control of some kind.Thats why woods like Osage,are so popular in your area.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 06:13:43 pm »
I think the tiller looks good,for that design of bow.I dont think that is too much follow either.Yes,your humidity,will affect the amount in a wood like Hickory,which is very hydroscopic,but even then,i see much worse in other bows,so id say you did quite well.
Hickory is a great,if not the best wood,in a dry climate like mine,but in high humidity like yours,they can be a bit sluggish without climate control of some kind.Thats why woods like Osage,are so popular in your area.

Thanks for that info. I've been cutting a good bit of Hop Hornbeam. It seems to be the general concensus that hickory isnt suitable in hugh humidity so i think i'll experiment with other bow woods in my area.

To combat the humidity and to minimize set, i think my next bow will be 68 inches long.

-JW_Halverson

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 07:50:33 pm »
I agree with Jodocus, that is a nice slim and graceful looking bow. If you did not heat in any reflex and if you started with a straight piece
of hickory then you did a very good job having only ended up with that much set. For me a hot box to keep the hickory in between working sessions up until you put the finish on the bow is key to controlling moisture content and minimizing set, along with good tillering. Your tiller looks good to me and that amount of set looks fine also. Nice bow.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.