Author Topic: Keep me in your thoughts  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Dictionary

Keep me in your thoughts
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:53:20 pm »
If you guys dont recall, i made a thread a long time ago asking for some advice on what to do with my future as i am an 18 year old male with no direction. I began listing all my shortcomings, how i don't really have any social skills and i'm extremely reserved. This has really held me back on numbers of occasions throughout my life so far and i hate it really. I dropped out of college mostly because i never wanted to go in the first place but also because i was going through the same routine i went through in high school. Just floating around. I met with an Air Force recruiter months ago because i had initally wanted to join the army but i was having secound thoughts about that as well in high school. Finally i told the recruiter, this is what i need to do and i was scheduled to go down to MEPS this past monday/tuesday. I went down to meet my recruiter on monday and i had cold feet. I was so overcome with worry and anxiety, i told him i wasnt ready to join. I came back home and realized, I had made an awful decision. My dad didnt really give me good advice either. He just said, come back home and work. My mom though, told me i had made a bad choice and i needed to get back down there and join. After thinking on it for 2 more days, i realized im not going anywhere in my life, and i NEED to join or else i'll be heading nowhere. Regardless of my shortcomings, this is my best route. I called my recruiter, apologized, and asked to join as soon as possible.

I just feel it might help to know someone out there is rooting for me because im pretty much on my own for the most part and i have a tough time actually sticking to things. But, i will not back out again.

"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline bubby

Re: Keep me in your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:04:46 pm »
hang in there, be positive and be well, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Griffin027

• -Neosho, MO
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 01:08:49 pm »
Hey, I was exactly where you are now nearly 3 years ago, I joined Active Duty Air Force and it has helped me tremendously! It has its moments where you wonder why you joined but it has helped me to be a better decision maker, more confident, and put me ahead of the curb. I went in knowing I would only serve one term and that is still my decision now. When I tried college out of high school I didn't care about my education and made poor decisions. Now I have the GI Bill and a different perspective on my education with the necessary tools to succeed on my next career choice. You're young and you can't go wrong with the Air Force, if you don't want to commit to Full Time (Active) look at Guard or Reserve. Best of luck and I hope I helped!  ;)
~ Levi from SW Missouri ~

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 01:47:39 pm »
I believe the military will certainly give you direction! There is a slogan in the Army that goes "hurry up and wait!" You will have a lot of time to wait, don't fight it and DON'T compain about it, just stand there. Sounds like to me you will glean a lot from letting others tell you what to do for a couple years (there is a measure of comfort in that...) When you get out, you will find it much easier to make up your mind about what you want to do with your life. You will have the confidence to try many different things - maybe even college. And if you're smart you might have a little nest egg set aside to make a start with.

Biggest advise I can give you is think about what you want the military to teach you. Mechanics, cooking, electronics, computers, support work, whatever it is make them train you in something you enjoy. DON'T do what I did and just learn how to kill people. It doesn't translate well into civilian life.  :-\

I served in the Army, my brother is National Guard, my dad was Air Force. Wherever you go, find the little joys while you are there. If you make yourself miserable you won't last and that will stay with you for life.

"Always Ready"
Scott

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 02:47:41 pm »
Good choice, 1st, l retired from the AF with 20 yrs active. And enjoyed most of it. There will be times you want be happy with what you are doing, but keep a good attitude and a smile and it will take you far. No one will like it if you complain. always give 100% no matter what you are doing, as you will always be watched and graded among your peers.
2nd, after you get through, boot camp, tech school, and get to your 1st duty station and complete your career develop courses, enroll in collage courses at the base education center. you want be sorry later on.
Remember to always be head and shoulders above your peers and you will reap the rewards.
anytime you need advise or want to talk you can email or give me a # and I call you. I have had several young troops who have listened and have went to the top in record time.
Best of luck,
Graylan

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 03:14:30 pm »
Good luck on whatever path you choose. The military will benifit you in several ways. The offer Spyder just gave you for help will also be a benifit.
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline agd68

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 02:33:12 pm »
One thing I learned in the Army is you wont always like everyone you serve with, but, everyone finds someone. Even the "scewballs" and loners find someone to buddy with. When you wear the uniform your never alone. Chances are when you backs against the wall it will be the one guy you dislike most there to hold you up.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline seabass

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 07:12:27 pm »
hang in there brother.every one uf us has been there.at 18 most of us was scared and didn't know what route to take in life.i think the military will give you confidence,structure and self relience.after you get all of that,you will have no problem in anything you attempt.go for it brother and make us proud.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 09:47:03 pm »
Dictionary,   I never served in the armed forces, so I have little to say on that count, but I do remember being 18 and less than confident.  Heck I still have my occasional worries.  Hang in there!      Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 02:16:31 am »
Life is uncertain. I'm telling you that as a 62 year old man. Read my byline. It has brought me from being an uncertain teenager to where I am today. There was a lot going on when I was 18(1968), from the Viet Nam war to student unrest to the beginnings of the counterculture. Times were very confusing for teenaged males. One thing the military will do is set you on a positive path. The rest is up to you.
 I've never been in the military but I know when you get out you will have a direction to follow. In the Military you will learn self confidence and you will learn who you really are. Ain't that where you want to be?
 Keep us posted Dictionary. We are all interested in how things work out for you.
Bon Voyage!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 11:55:01 am »
Thank you for the support fellas. It really means a lot to me. Honestly. I am hoping for the best that all will work out. Glad to know im not the only one who has felt this way at my age. I hope to be in sometime next week.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 12:20:43 pm »
You have take the first positive step in your transition through life. Success is really attainable if you follow one simple rule; when you see something that needs to be done, just do it. Don't look for ways to sidestep or avoid doing what is necessary, just do it.

Be forewarned, in all situations that you need to address you will have one guy on your shoulder telling you to run, no one will ever know and one guy sitting on your other shoulder the telling you to roll up your sleeves and get to work. It is perfectly normal to hear both of these guys suggestions but if you consistently follow guy #2s instructions the sky is the limit for your success in life.

That said, if you do take the bull by the horns as you go forward in life you will be a better man than at least 75% (probably closer to 95%)of the rest of the population who are always looking for ways to avoid responsibility and take the easy way out.

I am really proud of you, you saw something that needed to be done and did it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 12:42:10 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 03:02:25 pm »
My old lady is retired airforce. The VA is paying for her to go to collage for free right now. In fact, they also give her a monthly stipend of a couple hundred dollars on top of it. And a free laptop, free printer, and a free 300 GB hard drive. And a separate stipend for her books and things she needs for her classes. Last year our car broke down, and the VA payed about 600 dollars of a 700 dollar car bill for us. She has also been all over the world, paris, germany, alaska, etc. She still has friends she stays in contact with by email all over the world. She also gets a retirement check for the rest of her life.  If she applies for a government job, than as retired airforce, she is supposed to have preference over other people. IMO, as a career choice, the military does have alot of things going for it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:08:19 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 12:59:04 pm »
When the screaming starts at boot camp dont take it personaly,its their job.
Now is the good old days

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 06:10:15 pm »
18 is a tough age.  You feel all sorts of pressure to DO SOMETHING.  That period of time from 18 - 21 is stressful for so many reasons.   Follow your heart and take it all one day at a time.  You are gonna be fine.  It is strange how time can drag by for an 18 year old man and it speeds past for the 48 year old man.....  Two years or four years may seem like an eternity for you, but I promise it will go by so fast that you will be amazed.   Regardless of your decision to enlist, to enroll in college, to go to work, whatever.....  the thing to keep in mind is that WHERE EVER YOU GO - THERE YOU ARE.   You try to get the most out of each day, each situation and learn all you can.  Find joy in the small things and celebrate the good stuff and don't sweat the bad.  You remain positive and you will be fine.  Hell, anyone that can knuckle down and build such a fine bow with his own two hands can do anything!  Good luck.  I am down here at the University of West Alabama and if you change your mind, you can always enroll here and I will introduce you to a few primitive archers in this locale!   Deer all over the place! ;)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi