Author Topic: Taking some advice--my second self bow start!  (Read 16950 times)

Offline Chuck Jones

Re: Taking some advice--my second self bow start!
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2007, 12:01:01 am »
Thanks all I havent given up yet.  I have learned some good lessons already.  I will continue and see if I can get something worthwhile going...thanks for all of the support...chuck
Chuck Jones San Antonio, Texas

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2007, 06:17:22 pm »
Here is the next try to make a bow! :) This is a piece of red oak that has a burlap backing on it.  It is 66" tip to tip.  I have a long string on it and it is pulled to 10" in the photo.  After each shaving of the limbs I have pulled it 40-50 times not past brace.  Just flexing the limbs before I put it on the 10" peg.  The 10" is measured at the point that the long string just begins to put pressure on the limbs....chuck

[attachment deleted by admin]

a finnish native

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2007, 06:23:11 pm »
now is the time to slow down. put a short string on her and see how she adapts. the tips and outer limbs seem just a bit stiff, but dont touch them yet. A short string will pull the tips in a more powerful way, so see how it goes and take it slow.

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2007, 12:18:41 am »
a finnish native ---By a short string do you mean brace it at about 3".  Then start checking the tiller again?...chuck

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2007, 05:58:08 am »
Looks like it is about ready to brace to me.I usually measure from where the back of the bow would be unstrung at the tips and when I get the out to about 8/10 inches I brace it at a low brace ,maybe 4 inches or so.Then go from there.After I get it out a little futher maybe 15 inches I full brace it ,about6 inches.Looking good so far. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

a finnish native

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2007, 06:49:06 am »
yup. somewhere around 3-4 inches.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2007, 11:15:50 am »
Get some bending near the handle area.  Let the bending start at the end of the fades. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2007, 11:48:42 am »
Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it.  It is coming along nice now.  I was about ready to post another picture when my son-in-law came over and wanted to see the progress.  I showed him what it looked like now and took a weight measurement at 10".  He wanted to try it and without me realizing it he pulled it well past the 10" and I heard a loud pop.  The bow fell to the ground. 

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 11:57:38 am »
I have since started another bow.  I have a short string on it now pulling it to 10".  In this picture you can see that I still need to work towards the handle some.  I have only worked the limbs to about 6" from the tips.  At this point in time the left limb is bending 1/4" more than the right limb....chuck

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2007, 12:02:31 pm »
Coming along nicely,get a little more bending at the fades should do it.You are determined
I will give you that and that is what it takes,It will AL come togeather. :) ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2007, 12:25:32 pm »
Pappy---thanks for the encouragement.  There has been a lot of work put into these bows.  The last one that broke should have been a shooter by now.  I really hated to loose it.  The one before where the tips broke I have cut off at the breaks and now have a bow that is 36" long. So I am thinking what could I do with a 36" bow.  Maybe a crossbow.  Of course, I have no idea where to start to do that.  Anyway I do enjoy making bows and If I am patient with this one, and droping the weight carefully I think it will make it.  I am really excited about the progress so far....chuck

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2007, 12:13:25 pm »
Next Question??  At the tip of the fades it is bending about 1/16".  Is the bend to start at the tip of the fades?  Or deeper into the fades close to the handle?  About how much bend from level should I be looking for...thanks...chuck

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2007, 12:24:22 pm »
Just out from the fad ,just a little.You don't want it to bend where you have cut in and violated the grain. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2007, 11:28:35 am »
 This bow was finished I was ready to apply the finish  I drew it on the stick for the final weight and it broke on one tip.  The break started about mid limb.  I was so happy with this one.  It shot nicely.  I put about 40 arrows thru It and I was excited to finish it off.  Oh well, either I cant do this or my wood selection was very poor.  Probably the latter.  Home depot has a crappy selection to choose from.  I have a couple of handle sections now.  I guess I will have to dent my wallet and go to the hard wood store now.....chuck

Offline DanaM

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2007, 12:13:41 pm »
Sorry to hear that it broke. Are you backing the bows?
With boards I strogly suggest that you back them with linen, silk, heavy paper etc.
Fabric stores sell linen fairly reasonably, use Titebond 2 or 3 to apply it.
Unless the grain is absoutly perfect you will continue to break them without backing.
Just my opinion.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI