Author Topic: Sheep horn bow buildalong  (Read 34821 times)

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
Sheep horn bow buildalong
« on: November 03, 2012, 01:03:49 pm »
I've been making a couple asiatic horn bows, but can't help feeling that there is something missing as long as I have not attempted making an american-indian horn bow too. Steve Allely and Jim Hamms volume 2 of "Native American bows, arrows and quivers" have got drawings of two original sheep horn bows, so I was hoping to make something similar to those. Both seem to be bows made with only one horn, with a sinew back, and just a little longer than 30 inches long. I've also been looking through other books to find documentation of original bows, but have so far not found anything specific regarding limb taper and other constructional data.

I was hoping that someone here had some good data on an original sheep horn bow, so that it would be possible to give the bow the correct shape and bend. If no-one knows of such information, I will use the drawings that I already have.

So, please let me know if you know of a good source of information on these bows, and I'll try to make it up with a photo-heavy buildalong from start to finish.

Oh, and the party-pooper: I will be using water buffalo horn due to lack of proper material... :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Sheep horn bow buildalong
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 01:21:16 pm »
By saying asiatic bows I assume you will have a wood or bamboo core.Go on You Tube to YamtarCeri once it might help ya.Jeff Schmidt and John Mcpherson.
Look forward to your build along.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 01:54:44 pm »
No-no, even though it is tempting to add a wood core to save some sinew, I was hoping to make a pure american-indian horn bow with only horn and sinew.

Maybe I will make another buildalong for one of my other horn bows some time this winter, but I thought is was more in line with this forum to go for an American-indian version :)  Anyway, just to get started, here's some full draw photos of an Hungarian and an Egyptian bow that I've put together a while ago.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 02:13:27 pm »
I see.Very nice bows there.You've been busy.This forum is for all bows.Look forward to your build along.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Bowman

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 02:20:21 pm »
Thank you Ivar. I hope I inspired you. I think I most do something about it myself. :-)
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 02:40:45 pm »
Yes, Bjørnar, you definitely inspired me to get started on this. Maybe we should do a dual buildalong?  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 03:24:12 pm »
Ivar, contact James Parker(Robustus) about the sheep horn bow. James has made most of the Asiatic composite bows and I think he is planning or has already started a sheep horn bow. If nothing else he could give you domensions but I'm sure he knows whatever you might need in info.
 I like both of these composits you posted and plan to make one similar to the second one or at least a Native American composite bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 03:46:03 pm »
Kviljo, if anyone can do justice to this design, it would be you.  I'm not the least offended that you would be using water bufalo horn instead of North American bighorn sheep.  It would be another story if you said modern epoxies and carbon fiber!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bowman

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 06:02:21 pm »
Ivar: Deal  ;D You have the knowledge, I have the perseverance. Look forward to some collaboration.  :)

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 06:18:35 pm »
Thanks Pat, I just sent him a PM. I do remember his wonderful american-indian horn bow. I will have to look for that thread again, also.

JW, thanks, as soon as I come across a proper sheep horn I will set it aside for a second try, but I hope the water buffalo horn will provide some helpful experience.

Bowman, brilliant stuff! When looking over the horns here I found one that I hope is suitable. There might be another one if you don't already have one. Otherwise Highland Horn shold be the source to go for.

Offline Bowman

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 06:23:55 pm »
Kviljo: If you have horn I can buy it from you. Othervise I buy from Highland horns. 30" ? :-)

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 07:11:02 pm »
I'll have a look tomorrow then :)

Edit: I just looked through the "Composites" thread of Robustus, and it seems that his plains style horn bow was a longer version at 46 inches, with a wooden core and two horns.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:31:24 pm by Kviljo »

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 12:02:49 am »
Perhaps ya can contact this gentleman...
His website is pretty cool too.
Heartwoodbows...

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,34888.0.html
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 12:11:31 am by sharpend60 »

Offline Weylin

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 12:14:45 am »
Perhaps ya can contact this gentleman...
His website is pretty cool too.
Heartwoodbows...

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,34888.0.html

Yeah, that's Chuck Loeffler. He makes really sweet bows. He just made a sheep horn composite bow recently.

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 07:36:35 am »
where do you fellas get the horn for these bows? any online sources?