Author Topic: sinewbacking and shellac  (Read 2497 times)

Offline hochgaertner

sinewbacking and shellac
« on: November 02, 2012, 04:37:35 pm »
Hi,
what do you think, is it a good idea, to coat a sinewbacking (hideglue) with shellac?

Thank you,
Peter

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: sinewbacking and shellac
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:16:49 pm »
Peter, an old finish that was used on bows, sinew backed included is French Polish, a mixture of linseed oil and shellac. Shellac is compatable with sinew/hide glue but there are better finishes out there. IMO.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:03:47 pm »
Won't shellac yellow over time?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 12:05:33 am »
The shellac I use has a yellow tent to it anyway.
 Jay Massey used french polish on his sinew backed bows and he hunted wet Alaska. Eventually he started using what we now call "Massey finish", epoxy thinned with acetone or other solvent.
  I've been real happy using Tru-Oil over sinew backed bows. I use it on most of my bows. To cut the high gloss shine I give the bow a quick spray of satin poly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hochgaertner

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 12:27:03 am »
Do you think, that the alcohol will attack the glue? I would be glad, to get a yellow colour, if it get´s a smouth surface.
Thank you, Peter

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 12:32:50 am »
Ill second the Tru oil. Good stuff. Works good over sinew.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 05:56:56 am »
Hi Peter,

every flexible coating works. I have sucsessful used shellac and hard-oil. Alcohol does not attack the sinew / hide glue. i have also used the Massey finis, IMO it shoule be a very thin coating, otherwise it does crack.

simson
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 11:24:38 am »
Shellac is not waterproof, paint a piece of wood with shellac and leave it out in the rain and see what happens, you will pick another finish in a heartbeat. You want your sinew to stay dry, shellac will only accomplish this task if it stays completely out of the weather.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 11:51:32 am »
haven't made a sinew bow in a while but I like to use furniture paste wax. Apply a heavy coat on and run your heat gun over it quickly and it will melt into a solid layer. Buff it up with a rag and you are ready to go. I also have been doing the same on all wood bows. Water beads right off.

Offline hochgaertner

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 06:55:26 pm »
Thank you for your advice. I have coated three times now and it works. But I will finish with tru oil.
When she´s ready, I will show you my work.

Peter

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 08:01:54 pm »
While the topic is being discussed, what finish or sealent do you guys recommend for the northern minesota area, International Falls area to be specific. I live a few hours north in Canada and love sinew backed bows, but have only used poly to seal my sinew backed bows.