Author Topic: Buckthorn stave; advice, pics  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Buckthorn stave; advice, pics
« on: November 01, 2012, 08:26:35 pm »
I roughed out this bad boy to it's current state with the hatchet yesterday, anyone see possibilities for a bow? Sapwood exposed on back
and sealed with shellac. Not sure I can make this wonky thing work as a bow. I know Blackhawk will tell me it's a primo looking stave
right Chris :).
Questions; Do I leave a sapwood back? Sapwood is quite thick in some areas and there may not be any heartwood on belly at one end
                 after I work to bow thickness.
                  Will side knots be prone to split if I cut through to narrow back profile or should I leave limbs wide like current profile of 2"
                   at fades?
                  Flat bow or bendy handle?
Any and all suggestions and pointer welcome, new territory here for me, Thanks
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline sharpend60

Re: Buckthorn stave; advice, pics
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 08:53:09 pm »
Ive never worked buckthorn but as far as design.

If it were my project I would probably let the handle bend some.
Reason being...

There are knots in the fade areas and that is a very stressed portion on the bow.
By letting the handle bend or having long fades (if you have length) you can reduce some of the stress around those knots.

Keep it wide until you get near your draw then get at the width.
But thats just my 2 cents. There are lots of ways to address the same issues.

I like the stave by the way. Thats my idea of a self bow.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 09:03:05 pm »
Dang,I see one sexy naughty bow in that stave... >:D that's primo wood right there.

I'd leave the sapwood alone and whatever ya end up with heartwood wise is what ya get. But do temper it. And I like the idea of a bendy handle or slight bendy handle if you have the length because of all those knots,it'll spread out the stresses more,and since its gonna look very primeval a bendy is the way to go. How long is it?...and you will be able to reduce a lil more on the width around the knots and the sections between them...so it'll swoop in and out around all the while trying to taper down your way to the tips.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 09:51:36 pm »
that stave has blackhawk writen all over it, gonna be a sweet looker fer shure, from lookin' at your bows this is gonna be a cool bow Greg, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 10:27:01 pm »
Sharpend - Thanks for your input, was hoping to hear suggestions in favor of bendy handle since that is what I mostly like to build.
Chris- See I didn't chop up all my good bow wood. Was hoping for your input on this one, knew you would like the stave. Length is
          61", had to cut it that short to provide a place for a handle away from those pointy knots. Also do you recommend a flat  or
          slightly crowned belly?
Bubby- Your right it should be a cool looking bow, that is if I can pull it off ;D.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 11:17:53 pm »
Oh your gonna pull it off Greg..cus you know what time it is in the shop ;)....just imagine those knots not there,but realize they are there at the same time if ya catch my drift.

You can go either or on the belly as I found it is very good in compression alone,and tempering it makes it even better. Personally I find tillering a crowned belly way easier than dead flat cus its the nature of hand tools to reduce wood in such a manner,as you know. And a crowned belly might help ya keep a lil more heartwood? Its hard to see how thick the sapwood is in your pics. I know the limbs on mine got pretty thin.

And I'd say bendy then all the way with that length and all those knots.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 12:35:24 am »
If you are not going to have enough heartwood on the belly, I would heat temper it. There is DEFINITELY a bow in there somewhere.

Cody
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline druid

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 02:49:16 am »
Dream stave...!  :P

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 06:33:26 am »
Greg that is a stone cold killer right there man.! Your profile looks nice. Go bendy all the way and reflex the tips ever so slightly and this will be an awsome bow. You know you got skills.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 06:47:55 am »
Thanks for the good advice Chris and Cody. Will start slowly on this one and follow your pointers along the way. Glad to hear that you guys think there is a bow in this stave, will be looking at your past buckthorn bow post for inspiration.
Hi Druid, this is your kind of stave for sure.  :)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 06:54:39 am »
 Hi Jon, bendy it will be. Gonna probably be a real slow build with some stumbling along the way, thanks for your vote of confidence.

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 01:49:27 pm »
Just remember.
There will always be another piece of wood....

But I dont think you'll need one.