Author Topic: how to build up a thin handle?  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
how to build up a thin handle?
« on: October 30, 2012, 02:46:55 pm »
I'm working on an Osage selfbow from a 3" diameter branch.  As you might guess, my wood thickness is limited here and there.  The limbs are looking promising, but the handle area is only 3/4" deep.  I think it's strong enought to hold together, but I'd like to build it up some.  I tried glueing on a piece of Purpleheart to build it up, but it popped off on the tiller tree, so the handle is apparently slightly bendy.

Any ideas on how to build it up without it popping off?  Would a softer wood survive a slight bend?  Other materials?

One thought I had would be to build it up with layers of leather, but that might look a little ugly.

Thanks,

Tom

Offline okie64

Re: how to build up a thin handle?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 03:03:12 pm »
Build it up with layers of leather and soak it with superglue and you can shape it however you want. If you dont like the way it looks wrap it with cordage.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 03:15:35 pm »
that's one way, the other that i can think of, add only 1/4 inch of wood. Make its pretty long(you would remove it as you go) once you get everything shaped up it would be all set. basically you would be allowing the handle to give a little, since your last one popped off im guessing that it was about 1/2-1" thick and was relatively short. making it longer is just like when you have a 10" piece of wood 3/4" thick and trying to bend it, vs a 10' board 3/4 inches thick and trying to bend it.(just an example, but its similar) By thinning it and by making it longer you give it a chance to bend with the bow.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 03:28:27 pm »
rawhide works well too, probably better than leather because it's generally thicker, and when it dries it's quite hard, saving you the crazy glue soak.  If you don't have any rawhide, dog chews are a cheap source, if you only need a small piece.

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 03:44:29 pm »
I was having the same problem and ended up gluing some leather on. I don't have a finished pic yet, but it is not ugly. Here's what it looked like mid way thru the shaping process

I glued 3 pieces together with TBIII. Not sure I won't cover with something else, but it solved the problem with the handle popping off.

Scott

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 04:09:38 pm »
the glued on leathe really look's good and will give a wood grain look with the layers, rawhide as well like cam said or cork, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:37:33 pm »
Thanks, guys.  Good info here.