Author Topic: Hurricane arrows  (Read 5298 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Hurricane arrows
« on: October 29, 2012, 06:45:17 pm »
With not much else to do, I pulled out some cane, got the coleman stove out, and got 10 straight enough to put on the spine tester.  I think I will keep these all together, and name each one after a hurricane..lol

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Hurricane arrows
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 07:39:16 pm »
looks good where did you get your bamboo at.
Rob

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 08:04:52 pm »
Trapper, most of this is Jap Arrow Bamboo that I harvested a few hours from me over the last couple of years.  There is two pieces of river cane in this mix as well that someone gave me.  All of these still have a lot of final straightening to go through, but this allows me to be at a point where I can choose spine.

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 08:52:05 pm »
i can't wait to watch your progress Charlie.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 10:42:56 pm »
That's good therapy Charlie! I have never found a nicer shaft material to work with. That japanese bamboo makes the finest tapered arrows a man could hope to find. The climate in my area kind of puts the dampers on it otherwise I'd be growing it under controlled conditions on the creek bottom.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Boofus

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 12:01:26 am »
Great idea! Those look nice and straight from the pics.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 07:40:37 am »
I have noticed that on straightening cane/bamboo you have your good days and bad days like everything else.  I usually know with in the first piece if I will have a good day or not.  I seem to break the cane/boo at the nodes when I first start, and when that happens, I put them down and come back later.  But it is fun to see the finished product when all goes well.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 08:57:56 am »
Good use of your down time.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 06:22:12 pm »
Got another 20 done today.  These are ready to cut the length to get what I want, and the spine.  After that I will take all that I have done over the last few weeks, sort them in groups, and start doing one of many final straightenings.

Offline Adam

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 10:45:00 pm »
Looking good!  What are the approximate diameters of those shafts?  I have some assorted bamboo that I've been wanting to work with, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 11:12:14 pm »
Great looking shafts, Charlie. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I hope you guys are holding up in that storm. If it had hit in Florida being that big you could kiss this area good bye.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 08:13:00 am »
Adam, I try and keep my diameters not bigger than 3/8 on the large end.  As to what the spine will be on each shaft is any bodies guess as they vary a lot between each.

Mullet, we did ok here in Fredericksburg.  But from here north things were not so good as you well know.  We never lost power, thank God, but got  lots and lots of rain and some pretty good wind gust, but nothing damaging.  Our rain gauge is 4 1/4 and it was running over, so not sure exactly what the total was, but the news said over 5 inches.

I sure do feel sorry for those up along the Del, NJ, and NY coast line.  This will be the storm of destruction for the history books for sure.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 04:40:22 pm »
That's a pile of hapiness right there. ;)

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 04:50:16 pm »
Got another 10 done today.  I think this is enough to get me started in the right direction for awhile ;) ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 09:38:46 pm »
One heck of a storm for sure!  As it works it's way inland it has wiped out all electricity in the Amish country as well as their land line and cell phones!

Nice looking pile of shafts!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.