Author Topic: Wood Identification  (Read 4433 times)

Offline outdoorX05

Wood Identification
« on: October 29, 2012, 02:54:31 pm »
I'm from south eastern Ohio and we have a tree here that everyone I knows calls iron wood. Would anyone know the correct name and how good of a bow would it make?
hunting season is getting close. time to trade in the girl friend for the bow

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Wood Identification
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 02:57:27 pm »
Hornbeam? There's a lot of woods called iron wood.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 03:03:24 pm »
Pics please!  Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 03:09:32 pm »
Its either gonna  be eastern hophornbeam or American hornbeam......or it could be that wood pearl drums calls Mongolian tulipwood ...lol ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 03:27:19 pm »
Why dont you shut up chickenhawk!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 03:47:08 pm »
That one never gets old Pearly  ;D   I'm taking your MTW bow out tonight as long as the wind doesn't blow me out of the tree.

If its Hophornbeam, it makes excellent bows.  Try to cut one that doesn't twist. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 03:51:47 pm »
Does it have smooth bark or flakey bark?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline zinger

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 03:54:52 pm »
With this common name there are generally two native species that fit the bill, Oystra virginiana and Carpinus carolinia, both in the birch family and both having very similar fruits. There is loads of Carpinus in the lower elevations where I live but you have to go up towards the mountains to find Oystra. Carpinus (also called blue beech or musclewood) has smooth bark with muscle -like undulations. One peculiar thing I have heard and found to be true is that the wood rots very fast after it falls to the ground - you'll never find an old piece laying around. I've also heard that it's a marginal bow wood.

Oystra, on the other hand has short little strips of bark that refuse to lie flat against the trunk - they point outward at the ends. This is the species that is apparently the new rage in bowmaking. The wood is very hard, very tough. Wish I could get some, but I've got to find a friendly landowner first.

Offline outdoorX05

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 04:09:54 pm »
the stuff that grows around here is extremeyl hard, it tends to look as if it has ridges and lines under the bark much the same as the muscles under someones forearm. the biggest trees i have found are never bigger that a lb coffee can and that is pushing it, and it never reaches more than 15 feet i would say.
hunting season is getting close. time to trade in the girl friend for the bow

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 04:40:58 pm »
I'm also from southeastern Ohio and what i grew up calling ironwood is American hornbeam. Ive also heard it called musclewood or blue beach. Ive never tried it but have seen some bows on this site made from it.
Steve Bennett

Offline zinger

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 04:51:52 pm »
Sounds like you have carpinus carolinia. Around here I've never seen it much above 20'.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/trees/plants/musclewood.html

Offline zinger

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 06:42:34 pm »
  GEEEEZZZEE!!!!!!!!  that's   friggin hornbeam????????   that stuff  is  everywhere  around  me!!!!!!!   are you  kidding  me??   man  o  man  I gotta lean more of this  stuff!!      thanks  guys!!    JeffW

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 11:40:30 pm »
i just cut two sections off one tree that gave me 8 perfectly straight staves! some have a minor reflex, and none have any deflex. i'm looking forward to making chips, but getting the bark off these things is a nightmare!!!! the bark is stringy, and because of the contours of the wood, it almost haas to all be scraped off.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 12:30:02 am »
Easy there jeffhalfrack............It's blue beach(American Hornbeam) ,not  HOP Hornbeam . Two different woods. Still very interrested to see if it makes a decent bow though. They used to use it for wagon axels from what I hear.