Author Topic: looking for a cheap easy source of target points.  (Read 6350 times)

alexzxz

looking for a cheap easy source of target points.
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:43:06 pm »
I've checked out the sticky on small game points, but most require machining, or take too much work to make more than a few. The .38 brass with nail, I'm contemplating, but I can't get brass locally, so shipping wouldn't be cheap.

I don't really understand how a piece of metal or lead has to cost more than a quarter, Is there anything out there that would work that I could get at a local hardware store that works as field points? I've tried using a pencil sharpener on the wooden shafts I use, but they lack the penetration power to consistently impale into this old mattress in my yard. After a couple of shots, the wood wears down, and loses the point, as well.

On another note, I've been wondering, judo points look very similar to clothespin springs. I've bent a couple with needle nose pliers to show you. I just can't figure how to attach them securely tho, any ideas?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: looking for a cheap easy source of target points.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:25:30 pm »
I'm curious, what country do you live in where you can't get .38 brass? I'll go to the gun range and supply the whole country with brass casings if they want to make arrow blunts.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 12:53:31 am »
That would make a pretty cool judo point, I like that idea
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

alexzxz

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 02:03:33 am »
I live in NYC. Pistol permits are almost impossible here, so no gun stores whatsoever, except those that cater to the NYPD, who switched to 9mm long ago.

If anyone has extra .38 brass, I could pay a nickel a piece + shipping, lmk
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:38:03 am by alexzxz »

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 10:14:27 am »
Heck 45 auto and 9mm make good tips also
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 10:50:22 am »
I use shell casings for blunts too. I'll cut a slot on the primer end and epoxy in a  small piece of metal for small game hunting.  When I go to a large shoot I pick up field points by the hundred counts. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 10:52:04 am »
Remember if you are using blunts hey work better with no taper on the arrow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 10:48:13 pm »
  DUDE!   9mm is a  35 cal  just as a 38  the case is shorter and doesn 't  have a rim like the 38 I use  .38, .357,.380 9mm all make blunts  can you get  9mm?  Jeff W  you 'll  figure this out

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 08:29:22 am »
Alex try and turn the spring vertical instead of horizontal and bend the tips in that direction...the two springs ought to fit "inside each other/together" perfectly having the same twist then just use a nail or screw to secure in end of shaft...i think this may take a little tweaking to make it durable depending on what size nail or screw u use and how far it goes into shaft...wrap the shaft behind the point with artificial sinew, thread,or floss and soak w super glue to prevent splitting
Aim Small...Hit Small

alexzxz

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 11:01:58 pm »
Found a source of 9mm/357/.38!

@CherokeeKC

Could you elaborate how it works, or do a simple picture in Paint/Photoshop?
I think I understand how the springs fit together, but I don't really understand how you would bend it and nail it though.

alexzxz

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 11:51:47 pm »
when you said vertical, suddenly made me think of this design

There's only one spring shown here because I'd rather not do perspective in Paint.

There would be either 3 to 4 of the springs on the real thing. It'd be wrapped really tightly with some kind thread, sinew, polyprop twine, then super glued. Then wrapped in a 1/2" heat shrink tubing. That should look quite elegant, I'm not sure about sturdiness.  But wrapping it with a lot of thread (maybe even metal wire) and a 2 to 3 inch length of tubing should prevent it from slipping. Thereafter, all you'd have to do is adjust the hook part with pliers once in a while.
OFF COURSE THIS IS AN UNTESTED DESIGN AND JUST GUESSTIMATE.

Also, should file away a little bit of wood to seat the spring better as well as make some grooves for the thread to catch on to.

At a buck for 50 wooden clothespins, this should be relatively simple and useful design. Now I just gotta find some heat shrink tubing in the right size.

3 clothespin = 6 cents
Wrapping = almost nil, maybe 1 cent
super glue = ~ 10 cent    (guesstimate)
heatshrink = ~ 25 cents  (guesstimate)
TOTAL = 42 cents for Judo point

If anyone has these materials, try it and let me know how it turns out, since I'll be busy this weekend. maybe even monday too, depends on how powerful Sandy gets.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 12:00:05 am by alexzxz »

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 12:13:36 pm »
Or you could pay $4.50 for a dozen field points... Only 38 cents a point... Just saying...

Jon

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 01:36:16 pm »
Or you could pay $4.50 for a dozen field points... Only 38 cents a point... Just saying...

Jon

from where?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 01:58:39 pm »
I get mine from trad shots I go to... It's the cheapest place.

Jon

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 02:34:14 pm »
OH i thought you were talking about something i could order off the web   :P

"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson