Author Topic: Does shellac work over tru oil for finish?  (Read 9106 times)

Offline Patches

Does shellac work over tru oil for finish?
« on: October 24, 2012, 02:03:10 pm »
I just finished a hedge bow, and have put 5 coats of tru oil on it.  I was wanting to put something on there to make it more water resisitant, but I read that polyurethane does not work with tru oil.  Does anyone know if shellac will stick to tru oil so that I can get a water resistant finish?  Does anyone have any suggestions other than shellac?  Thanks for any help.
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Does shellac work over tru oil for finish?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 02:24:50 pm »
I would recommend a couple extra coats of the tru oil and then put some wax over the top.  Forget the shellac. 

But to answer your Q - - yes, I think shellac would stick just fine -  it sticks to everything else.  -  but I don't think it is a very water resistant finish.  I use shellac as my only finish on kids bows as it is easily touched up and applied by kids. 

Russ

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 02:26:13 pm »
I use satin polyurethane over tru-oil on my hunting bows to cut the shine.  It seems to stick just fine.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 02:42:20 pm »
in my experience, shellac sticks to anything. I mainly use tru oil as my finish and lay down a few coats of shellac before the tru oil.  On my bows I do as Osage Outlaw does to cut the shine on my hunting bows with a few coats of satin poly after applying the tru oil.  Seems to work fine for me.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Patches

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 03:29:02 pm »
Thanks for the information everybody.  I was wanting to cut the shine down too, and had thought about the satin polyurethane, but what I read said it would not stick.  I will give it a try.  Its my first osage bow that I have finished and I didn't want to screw it up.  I am taking her humting with me this weekend so I was wanting to get her done soon.  Thanks!
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 03:32:38 pm »
i usually prep the tru oil finish by lightly rubbing it with 0000 steel wool first and then apply the satin poly.  I have done this to over 10 bows with no problems yet. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 04:44:41 pm »
The same company that makes Tru Oil makes a product called Gun Stock wax. I suggest rubbing a good share of that on the bow and skip any other sealers, unless you want to knock the shine down as the Josh's mentioned. Water beads right up. I rub a coat on all my bows and arrows just prior to season and again just prior to summer gatherings time. Works on handle leather as well.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 09:15:16 pm »
I put satin spray poly over the Tru-Oil finish on all my bows and have for quite a few years. It works great and I have never had a problem with adhesion or compatability.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 02:37:26 am »
Isn't Tru-Oil a combination of shellac and linseed oil? Seems like I heard that somewhere.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 09:02:39 am »
I like rubbing bees wax over truoil,dulls the shine and repels water.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 11:30:28 am »
Shellac works under about everything, so I don't know why it wouldn't work over anything. That said, I usually rub the occasional coat of "stock sheen" over my tru-oil finishes, just like if I were caring for a beloved shotgun.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 12:13:17 pm »
Osage bows get 3 coats of Tru Oil to seal up the pores followed by 3 of spar urethane. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 08:39:02 pm »
You can put the urethane over the Truoil but you can't put Truoil over the urethane, if I remember right.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 01:05:03 am »
I use shellac as a primer coat under Tru-Oil all the time. But I've not tried it the other way around though I supose it would work. If you want to cut down the sheen of a Tru-Oil finish rub it out with fine steel wood (or a synthetic) and then pumice powder mixed with vege oil - that will give you a really nice satin finish.
Gordon