Author Topic: Advantages of reverse twist?  (Read 5804 times)

Offline Dictionary

Advantages of reverse twist?
« on: October 22, 2012, 11:19:42 pm »
I have a quick question thats been bugging me. Its probably been asked, but i dont know how to search and find this specific one.

I asked a long time ago about making bowstrings and i got a lot of good advice and ended up making my own and have been making them the same way each time. I lay 12 strands of b50, 6 of blue, 6 of white. Reverse twist a short length, say 10 inches from one end and create the loop. I then reverse twist down for about another 5-10 inches. I twist tie this so it doesnt untwist itself and go to the other end. I then reverse twist about 10-15 inches, or enough to create a bowyers knot short enough to string the bow and end the reverse twist with a simple overhand knot. Then the untwisted, non reverse twisted string in between is given a simple twist. Takes about 10 minutes and Ive never had a string break.

I want to know why some people reverse twist the entire length of the bow string. What is gained other than cramped fingers? Am i missing something? I understand reverse twisting natural cordage that may not hold together with a simple twist, but b50?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

blackhawk

Re: Advantages of reverse twist?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 11:27:05 pm »
Use a cordless drill to do the twisting and your fingers will never cramp again  ;)

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 04:39:19 am »
That sounds complicated to me. I make my strings reverse twist all the way, and only use 8 strands of the same color ( green ) and come out with a great string inside o ten minutes also. My fingers dont cramp. By the way, I sent one of my strings to a friend of mine who tested it with an either fast flight or B50 ( cant recall which )  and mine was lighter, thinner, and ( in my opinion ) just as long lasting. I would be happy to send you a string if you wanna try it out? They have no stretch and I strongly believe they add performance to the bow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 06:35:58 am »
I only reverse twist the ends where the loops are,probably like you about 10/12 inches. If you reverse twist the whole string it will keep stretching and take much longer to settle in.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 11:05:41 am »
Are the reverse twisted through the length strings generally the type that uses a timber hitch at one end? I'm surprised if people are making double loop strings with reverse twisting throughout. The twist eats up a lot of extra string and adds stretch.
 Just twisting the loops and blended portion and then giving the center a basic twist gives the string a much rounder section in the middle.
 I prefer the less rope-like feel of that type.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 02:26:57 pm »
For the long string, or tillering string, I like to use a full reverse twisted string.  I feel like it is going to be stronger, (...not really sure why I think that), but have a bit of stretch to be a little forgiving.  I put a Finnish loop on one end and use a bowyers knot at the other end.

For the final string for the bow though I prefer to have a Finnish loop on each end and don't really want any 'stretch' left in the string.  I'm not sure how one would accomplish that and do the full length with reverse twist.

OneBow

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 03:44:25 pm »
I use a timber hitch on one end and a loop on the other and do not reverse twist the entire length. I dont know how in the world you can reverse twist a 6 foot length of b50 in under 10 minutes. Id love to see how.......it would probably take me more like 1-2hours. I dont do it because it takes too long and hurts my fingers. If there were some legitimate reason to do so, i might take the time...

No one really has answered the question except for those who think it would cause the string to be more stretchy? Apparently there isnt any merit to reverse twisting an entire length of bowstring?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:54:38 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 04:09:30 pm »
Reckon I forgot to mention, I dont use B50....

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 04:30:20 pm »
Reckon I forgot to mention, I dont use B50....

Well what do you use? And how do you reverse twist a length long enough(say 66inches) in 10 minutes? Id love to know honestly

-JW_Halverson

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 04:36:12 pm »
I dont think a whole length reverse twist has merit.
Not in long modern strings anyhow.
Not because it takes too long but as mentioned, it will stretch a good bit more. Possibly lowering performance and substantially increasing the pain in the rear factor.

In regards to the time it takes to create a reverse twist cord, there are other techniques than what we use for a flemish twist.
Check out a video of some native peoples making rope. Same concept

Sleek,
the performance you're seeing from your strings is from the low strand count and non stretch ( FF, TS1, D10 etc) materials.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 05:34:51 pm »
when i started making string's, and quite a while after i reverse twisted the whole string, uses alot more string mat. and streches like mad, now i just twist in the loops and thin twist the length to get brace height, i also switched to b55 and it hardly streches at all, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 06:04:14 pm »
I only reverse 8 inches of both ends. Seems to me doing the whole thing would make more stretch. It would act spring like. Anyway, that's how I was taught...just the ends. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 08:16:33 pm »
When I first started making reverse twisted strings I did them longer than I needed and yes, they stretched alot. Now that I have come into the light, I have a jig for length and then do the last eight inches of each end and they do't stretch much at al. I can say from expereince is that there is no merit in twisting the whole thing.    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 09:30:56 pm »
Well....those that reverse twist the entire length havent provided any good reason to do it...soo.......i guess you guys just enjoy it.  ::)

-JW_Halverson

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 11:33:35 pm »
I didn't know you didn't have to twist the entire string. I read about how to make cordage and figures that's how to make a bow string...