Author Topic: WHAT WOOD FOR TRI-LAM CORE?  (Read 3767 times)

Offline Easternarcher

WHAT WOOD FOR TRI-LAM CORE?
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:10:02 pm »
I'm been wondering about the types of wood that make a good core and how to best get a little extra out of my bows.
Am I correct in thinking that a lighter weight core can lighten the limb mass and improve performance? or should I stay with heavier woods like Osage and Ipe?
Anybody got suggestions on the best woods for cores when I only want 50-60lbs drawweight? Osage or Ipe as bellywood. Got some purpleheart-bloodwood and yellowheart(which is abit lighter weight) I guess I can use cherry, but I hate to hide that beautiful wood behind hickory and Osage...

Offline adb

Re: WHAT WOOD FOR TRI-LAM CORE?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:49:50 pm »
You're on the right track... purpleheart, osage, ipe, bloodwood, cherry, bamboo... all make good core lam woods, and I've used 'em all.
I tend to stick with the denser woods for heavy warbow weight tri-lams. My fav combos are: maple(hickory)/purpleheart/osage, maple(hickory)/bloodwood/osage, hickory/osage/ipe, hickory/bamboo/osage. These combos have worked for me up to120#.
If you only want 50#, I wouldn't do a tri-lam anyway IMHO... just back some osage with maple or hickory, and you're good to go.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:13:24 am by adb »

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 11:42:54 pm »
You're on the right track... purpleheart, osage, bloodwood, cherry, bamboo... all make good core lam woods, and I've used 'em all.
I tend to stick with the denser woods for heavy warbow weight tri-lams. My fav combos are: maple(hickory)/purpleheart/osage, maple(hickory)/bloodwood/osage, hickory/osage/ipe, hickory/bamboo/osage. These combos have worked for me up to120#.
If you only want 50#, I wouldn't do a tri-lam anyway IMHO... just back some osage with maple or hickory, and you're good to go.

As far as using maple for backing, should it be quarter sawn?  and about 3/16ths thick? or more?

thanks ADB

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 11:58:34 am »
Yes, 1/4 sawn maple is good. Of course, the straigther the grain, the better. Depending on draw weight, yes, I use 3/16" or 1/4". Same for hickory.