Author Topic: Dragon Bow  (Read 8700 times)

Offline warpath

Dragon Bow
« on: October 21, 2012, 12:15:57 am »
Here's a bow that I made from a piece of endgrain osage 1/4" thick, then backed with 1/8" hickory and added a 10" purpleheart handle riser. There are antler tip overlays and then faced with alligator tail from the back rather than the belly for that nice raised look. This bow is 54" overall, 52" NTN, 2" wide at the fades tapering down to 5/8" at the tips. The handle is 1 1/8" wide and wrapped with black cowhide leather and accented with red artificial sinew. I also wrapped in between each scale for added strength.

I had to flatten the bottom of each scale on the belt sander since they are really dense boney plates. This took about 2hrs for each limb because I had to take my time and not sand through the skin that connects each plate. Once everything was laminated together and tillered out, I stained the remaining hickory a dark fuscia to accent the naturally black scales and whitetail tip overlays. She pulls 32# @ 20". I've have pulled this bow to 23" but she feels more comfortable at 20" and flings an 20" 5/16" arrow with some decent speed. Those bony plates caused a little stiffening about midlimb on both sides, But they don't affect the performance as of yet. Not sure if I'm going to sell, trade, or give this bow to the Mrs. yet. (She really wants this bow in a bad way!! :) ) Either way, I'm going to shoot her for awhile since there are some squirrels in the attic that need to be evicted!  >:D Hope you guys enjoy the pics.

Offline warpath

Re: Dragon Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:17:11 am »
More pics.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 12:49:46 am »
BOW OF THE YEAR!!!! That is the coolest bow I have ever seen I love it man. Great job. I can't wait till I can make something even half as cool as that. Much respect.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 08:21:50 am »
 :'(
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 09:01:30 am »
warpath, outstanding and unique, sir. The title suits the bow perfectly, and the whole package is great. WOW sort of sums it up.
rich

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 09:19:02 am »
Sweet looking bow love the gator on it did you get the gator your self.
Rob

Offline warpath

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 09:51:08 am »
Trapper-  Sadly I did not get the gator myself. Not many of them here in Jersey. I have enough to make a few more like it. Thinking of making a longbow to match. It's flattening the boney plates under the skin that takes a long time. Took me 2hrs to flatten for each limb and there's only 16" of gator per limb. A full longbow will take awhile to make but I've already started!  ;D I'll post pics when it's done, but that'll be awhile since I have other projects in the meantime. I don't even know what I would charge/trade for it if I was to part with it. The Mrs. told me last night that if I do sell/trade it away that I'd better make one for her or I'm in trouble!   :-[

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 10:07:26 am »
Nice job, Warpath. Very unique looking bow, for sure!! :)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 11:45:55 am »
That gator looks crazy cool. Nice job on the bow all around but the skins is truely unique.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 11:57:29 am »
That's a seriously wicked looking creation there! The mass from the gator on the limbs give it any hand shock?

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 12:18:45 pm »
There's this pesky dragon that won't stop burning down my neighbor's house, can you come down here and slay it for me?
-Peter
Arizona

Offline warpath

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 12:20:22 pm »
Sled- There's no handshock at all! I love shooting it!! 8) @ squirrels have already been evicted with it and 4 more to go.  >:D The bow is heavier because of the boney plates. Weighs about 2lbs but shoots really smooth. Just started working on a longbow version of this bow.

Offline warpath

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 12:21:54 pm »
Tortoise- Sure!!!! Need more dragon skin so I can make a whole bunch of these. Only have enought to make between 3-5 more and I don't think it will be enough!!! >:D

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 01:22:28 pm »
Very cool.

Offline vyadha

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 03:10:21 pm »
Excellent bow! Makes me think of that snapping turtle one that Judo Point made.
Extremely creative and beautiful.
Like you, alligators arent near me either. Any idea on where to get some hides?