Author Topic: Skinny Hard wood arrows.  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Skinny Hard wood arrows.
« on: October 19, 2012, 09:01:43 pm »
If diameter is contributes to spine weight then why couldn't a person use a hard wood but in a smaller diameter shaft for the same affect?  Or even better?  I guess you can't go too narrow or you'll have issus at the nock end.  But still . . . Why couldn't you use say a 5/16" pine or a somewhat smaller Oak?

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: Skinny Hard wood arrows.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 09:44:51 pm »
i've made some 5/16 hickory shafts that spined about 50# they were pretty good shafts later i made some war bow arrows that were 3/8 at the tip and 11/32 at the nock they spined about 100# and weighed about 900 gn.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 10:48:17 pm »
In past issues of P.A. treasures of the smithsonian by Billy Berger I think, there are some Sioux arrows with diameters of 5/16ths. shorts arrow to, so 24 to 27 inches. Dog wood shoots (Red osier?) and split hickory were some of the woods used.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 01:45:55 am »
Well I'm going to find out!  Have a set of Maple arrows footed in carbonized Bamboo under way.