Author Topic: Osage RD build/help along  (Read 2462 times)

Offline mosestejas

Osage RD build/help along
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:31:15 pm »
A while ago I got a pair of osage billets off ebay. Being a long time admirer of Marcs St Louis's work i decided to attempt a relatively moderate reflex deflex design. Im relatively new to the addiction so i would love to hear any suggestions as I build this bow.
The victims

Offline mosestejas

Re: Osage RD build/help along
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 11:34:12 pm »
splitting off the belly and chasing a ring then burnishing the back with a small glass jar

Offline mosestejas

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 11:36:27 pm »
laying out to 1 1/4 wide at the widest then tapering to 1/2 at the tips. After splicing this stave should turn out 64 1/2 long

Offline mosestejas

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 11:40:51 pm »
didn't get any pics of the splicing process. its a pretty basic z splice 2 1/2 long. glued into 1 3/4 deflex with two short maple lams to rienforce the handel. The splice was pretty sketcy and had a few gaps so i mixed some epoxy with sawdust filled them up. hope it holds.

Offline mosestejas

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 11:47:23 pm »
put it on the piller tiller  8) made some adjustments and braced. I think the next step will be to heat treat  in the reflex ala Marc st louis.
I was wondering what the finished mass should be on this bow
Plans are 63 ntn
47lbs at 27inch draw
handle and fades = 9inch
Heat treated

not sure if i should reduce the limbs some more before ht or what. right now its pulling about 30lbs at 10inches
the current mass is about 27 oz

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 11:56:32 pm »
Looking great so far!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline randman

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 02:59:36 am »
Looks like you're doing a fine job so far Moses. I would have been more inclined to glue it up in reflex rather than deflex but if you're makin a RD (or would that be DR - always confuses me ;-) ) then that's the way to do it, then heat in the reflex in the limb. I'd also fill that notch at the handle with a piece of wood cut tight to fit (hope you're not plannin on leaving it there for a cut in shelf or something - not a good idea near your splice joint). You got some good skills there young man!
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline mosestejas

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 09:09:34 pm »
Hey.
Its been a while but i have made some progress on my bow though I havent taken any pictures. Turns out doing a comprehensive build along is a bit more work than id anticipated. Maybe when i get more experience ill be able to do a good one, but for now im mainly focusing on the bow building part. Since last time i heat treated 1and 3/4 inches of reflex in and glued on some overlays. Right now i have it at a zero brace hight (which creates tons of string tension)
Having never tillered an RD bow before i am not quite sure how to continue from this point.
First pics shows unbraced reflex and the second shows me pulling it about 6 inches where it weighs around 25lbs.
The mass of the bow is 4 oz over what i think the finished weight should be.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 10:24:42 pm »
You're helping me   :-[