Author Topic: Vine maple Ala Natural (sort of :) )!!!  (Read 7373 times)

Offline coaster500

Vine maple Ala Natural (sort of :) )!!!
« on: October 18, 2012, 03:30:43 pm »
Still in my infancy as a bowyer so I sometimes over complicate things but sometimes a stave screams simple.

This piece of vine maple was one of those and is the second bow I've built leaving close to what was created to begin with. I am very pleased with the finished tiller for what I consider rather short for a stiff handled bow (for me) 56 3/4 N to N and pulls 50@26 (the end users specs) but tillered to 27"s for safety. This piece of Vine Maple has some gorgeous figure, undulations, humps, and bumps under the bark and a area of soft dark wood at that I worked into the handle. The working parts of the limbs are pristine and obliged my limited tillering skills on a short for me bow. It is tillered more circle with a very short area of non working tips. I heat treated it very deep and allowed plenty of rehydration time know I was asking a bunch from these short limbs. It has some very slight propeller twist that is a non issue when strung and shot. I thought about self nocks but my brain got in the way and I added Ebony tips. Probably because it is the second heaviest bow I've built (got to find some sissy's to build for!!!) but man it screams an arrow!!!!

This is one of my candidates for the Christmas swap but since I have more time and a couple of other bows that will come into my recipients specs....  we will see ???

Vine Maple 58 50@26 Ala Natural "sort of" :)

Shooter videos......

The bows after 40/50 arrows pulled to my 27"s....

rests on the back of the handle after an hour....

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:40:02 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

blackhawk

Re: Vine maple Ala Natural !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 03:34:09 pm »
Sweet Kip.. the tree even grew with overlays on..lol ;D

Edit....hey Kip winger ..you can't be editing in that (sort of) after I made my smart arse comment..lol..you crack me up kip :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:45:56 pm by blackhawk »

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Vine maple Ala Natural !!!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 03:34:27 pm »
Very nice piece of work!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Vine maple Ala Natural (sort of :) )!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 03:40:28 pm »
Someones going to be very happy  ;)
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline druid

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 03:45:29 pm »
I can not watch now shooting video but according to braced profile seems that this is excelent tillered bow. And overall look is excelent, just as I like it. Great my friend, continue with this.  ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 03:54:43 pm »
nice bend and i love the back, full draw look's fine in the shooter vid's, great bow, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 03:56:55 pm »
Gosh I really love the back, the handle details, the tiller.  This is exceptional.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 03:58:58 pm »
Don't you live VM? I like after you peel the bark off the back layer of wood shrivels up like a cranberry, makes it look old and mysterious. Well coast that's one if the finer VM bows I've seen, keep it up buddy!
Another note, I was sad to see the specs of this bow bc well....I knew it wasn't for me :(
But whoever gets it will have a joyous Christmas indeed.

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline coaster500

Re: Vine maple Ala Natural (sort a kinda :) )!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 04:52:08 pm »
Thanks Hawkman!!!

You can blame the tips on Ralph Morris. He builds glass bows and out of the blue sent me a box of exotic scraps :)

lesken2011 Thank you

ionicmuffin I hope so ???  This guy builds some exceptional bows!!!

Thank you Druid ....  you give us all something to shoot foe :)

Thanks Bubby!!! Hope my swap victim likes it ...  or plan B or C ?????

Gabe "exceptional" is very much the wood !!!  It gave me a great deal of pleasure, Thank you

Bryce I've been known to miss quote specs from time to time  >:D   These water base pens wash off pretty easy ???
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:05:58 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 05:17:24 pm »
Someone's going to have a merry Christmas! Nice work!

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 05:17:39 pm »
That bow is absolutely stunning coaster. Wish those were my specs.  >:D

Jon

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 05:21:40 pm »
Well if exceptional bows come from the guy your making it for it cant be me  ::) I make something that works(hopefully) still working on aesthetics and the like.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 05:34:26 pm »
Gotta love that vine maple! Beautiful job on that bow! The texture of the wood really comes out on your bow! Love the way the handle looks! All around good job! Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline coaster500

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 06:16:32 pm »
Sorry about that Hawkman  >:D

Cameroo, Jon Thank you

ionicmuffin I learn something new with every bow and as far as aesthetics just start with the right piece of wood!!!  This bow looked great as a stave :)

Dale this is my second Vine Maple but the last one was almost smooth on the back. This one went nuts under the bark!!!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 06:17:29 pm »
Really like the look of your latest bow Coaster. That rippled back and dark streak in the handle with matching dark tips overlays are all the dressing up that stick needs, good call. Also looks to be smooth drawing and bending very nicely in the attached video, no doubt
it's a shooter. Nice work!
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.