Author Topic: Tip width  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Eric Garza

Tip width
« on: October 16, 2012, 03:29:34 pm »
What is the narrowest width just below the nock that people have gotten away with without using tip overlays? I'm trying to find a good balance between simplicity and performance, and want to get some perspective on how narrow others have gone. Thanks!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Tip width
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 03:43:11 pm »
I don't think that you are going to find the magic number that you are looking for.  There are so many variables involved - draw weight, type of wood, etc.  You can make up for heavier draw weight by leaving the wood thicker, but if you get too narrow then you will have the tips bending sideways.  The only way to know is to slowly remove wood until it starts bending too much.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:28:14 pm »
I usualy make tips about 3/8" wide and about the same thickness. I have seen tips that were 1/4" or less.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 06:03:35 pm »
  I may  have  this wrong  but the tbb  said  some thing  like; wood is  8 times stronger in  thickness  than width?  please correct me,,  so the way think is to proportion accordingly  but I have gotten away  with  5\8" wide  with a hard wood tip overlay  I hope this  helps  JeffW

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:20:34 pm »
Jeff, I think the strength relationship is that if you double the width, you double the strength. If you double the thickness, you increase the strength eight times.

To the original question, I have made most of my bows 3/8" wide at the tip before cutting the string nock.  Most of  those bows were in the mid #40s range but a couple were about #50. Never had a bow break at the string nock.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 06:21:03 pm »
1/2 to 3/8's wide is how I like to roll.

gr
Humboldt County CA.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 09:45:04 pm »
You can go very narrow, and still have stability IF you heat threat the sides to stiffen them. And you dont have to do a nock or overylay, you can tie a wrap onto the limb tip very thick and tight for the string loop to catch on. I think a good one is called a monkeys fist?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 01:20:48 am »
A 150# English War Bow has tips that are 1/2"x1/2" and that is with yew.
  Excess tip weight retards limb recovery and can cause hand shock.  The last 6" of the limb can be reduced in width and thickness quite a bit and still be plenty strong enough for a hunting weight bow. You do have to be careful of instability with very narrow tips, like Cam suggested.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 02:08:49 am »
I would play it safe and go with 1/2 or maybe even 3/5, unless you want otherwise
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 09:36:46 am »
Thanks for the replies. I'll be using dense woods like hickory and hophornbeam, and draw weights up to 55 pounds or so. I think on my next bow I'll shoot for a 1 cm wide nock, which is just a shred over 3/8 inches. (I think in metric.)

Offline Postman

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 10:11:17 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I'll be using dense woods like hickory and hophornbeam, and draw weights up to 55 pounds or so. I think on my next bow I'll shoot for a 1 cm wide nock, which is just a shred over 3/8 inches. (I think in metric.)

Sounds good thats whatt mine are - but don't say "SHRED"!! >:D
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA