Author Topic: Shingles ...  (Read 2206 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Shingles ...
« on: October 14, 2012, 04:06:37 pm »
A week ago today I got shingles.  Didn't know for sure what it was until Monday.  Who knew a rash could wipe a guy out like this has?? Can't work, can't hunt, hard to sleep... pretty miserable.  I have knapped a few small points but even that's difficult. Worst of all, after $70 of antivirals, I feel much worse today than a week ago.  So I have a question to those of you that have had this. How much of my hunting season is it gonna steal from me?

I'm threatening to say the heck with it and be miserable in my ground blind tonight, but just driving to pick up a pizza yesterday wiped me out.  What a time to be down with this. :'( 

Thank goodness for forums in the middle of the night when your nerves are on fire.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: Shingles ...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 04:13:42 pm »
Sorry to hear the chicken pox has come back to haunt you.  Very painful,and drains your energy.( makes a difference where  the out break is,) Do as you can with out taxing your system,and I'll pray for your speedy recovery!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 04:51:01 pm »
My wife got shingles a few years ago. She first thought she had poison ivy and it was a couple of weeks before she got to the Dr for the antiviral shots. She said it took about a month before she was back to where she could do stuff. If you got the shot early enough it should help sooner than what she went through.
  Sorry to hear this George. I guess most of us have the virus in our systems and it is just a matter of time before we get shingles.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 05:55:44 pm »
Thanks Auggie and Pat.  I have the rash from about mid-belly on the front, wrapping around the left side to mid-back.  It's right on the lowest rib.  That makes it hurt to breathe and especially to cough or laugh.  It doesn't hurt to shoot though, I tested that yesterday. 

Pat, the antiviral I got is taken orally and my last day on it is tomorrow.  The rash did look a little like poison ivy, though I've never been allergic to it, so I was a little skeptical and went to the nurse at work.  It took her about a second to diagnose me and said I had a textbook case.  I hope we started the antiviral in time for it to make a difference.

There's no way I can sit in my tree stand with my back against tree bark.  That limits me to my ground blind which has the problem of making my shots be longer than 20 yards.  Sadly, this is beyond the range of my selfbow.  Happily it is not beyond the range of my Bear Grizzly.  I just don't think I'd be up to the ride to the spot and then I'm afraid if I got a deer it'd nearly kill me to pull it out of the woods.  Looks like this may be a one-hunt bow season for me.  Fortunately I can bow hunt during rifle season, assuming I get over this.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 06:05:02 pm »
Man! What a bummer to deal with that any time of year, let alone now.  I'm sorry to hear that your ailing George.  I've heard that it is a miserable and painful malady.  I would imagine that rest is key to a speedy recovery.  I understand the frustration, but overtaxing yourself will probably just prolong the agony.  I sincerely hope that you will get this whipped and be back at the things you love ASAP!  In the mean time, take it as easy as possible.  Josh

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 07:07:27 pm »
Hang  in  there George,,,you  got  a  tough  row  to  hoe!!!!  keep  yer  mind  busy,,,The  toughest  man I  know  had  that (my Dad)  he  was  down a  little  while  but  he  got  over it,,,as  you  will  too,,,you  may  not  think  so   but  you  will,good  luck  and  take  care,,,we  need  you  around  here!!  JeffW

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 07:44:56 pm »
Hey George, If you are up during the night and bored, shot me a PM.  I work nights, 3 days one week and 4 the next.  If I'm at work we can talk bows PM style.  Hope you get better soon.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 08:15:29 pm »
Thanks guys, it means a lot.  OK Clint, if I get up and can't sleep I'll shoot you a PM.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 08:30:10 pm »
Man that sucks, hope for a speedy recovery....sounds painfull! :embarassed:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 08:57:00 pm »
George, This is Kathie [Eddie's wife]. I had shingles a few years ago. I was down for about a month. I was given some steriods and some pain meds. Are you on either?? The antiviruses will clear up the rash, but nothing for the pain. If you don't have a pain med from the dr., try Excredin Migraine, that's the over the counter stuff that worked for me.

On a side note.....I hope you have no lingering effects. Some people have nerve damage for years.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 09:18:47 pm »
Sorry to  hear about you're shingles I've had chickenpox myself I always kinda wonder when it'll get me. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 10:34:30 pm »
Thanks all, sounds like 3-4 weeks is the fun I need to look forward to. :(   Kathie, I'm only on an antiviral, have been taking tylenol for the pain.  The pharmacist was very specific about what pain meds I can take with it.  I finish with it tomorrow night and then I can begin taking a better pain killer.  Might see the doctor tomorrow and see if there's something better. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to codein which knocks out some good ones.  O, and good luck keeping Eddie out of trouble. ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline lowell

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 10:41:19 pm »
Sorry to hear.  Father in law had it years ago but I have no idea what it is like.  Hope you get some relief soon!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 08:45:20 am »
Sorry about that,I have heard they are awful.Our preacher had them a few years back and was down about a month.Good luck on the recovery. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 02:16:53 pm »
Hope you heal fast George. I have never had chickenpox  :-\ I guess il be hiding from my kids when the pick it up at school one day lol. Keep your chin up itl get better
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995