Author Topic: Long time browser wants to get serious...  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Calamitus

Long time browser wants to get serious...
« on: October 12, 2012, 10:25:09 am »
I have been reading this board for some time now, left for awhile and am now back, interested in actually making a bow or two for serious. I would like to know the minimum tools necessary for board bows and for staves (probably hickory as there's a ton of it around). I have no power tools and wonder if a bench and vise is necessary as I don't have those either. I know and have read what tools are commonly used, but I have a tight budget and need to know the minimum I can get by with. I have a good bit of experience working with wood in construction and millwork and working with various tools comes naturally to me. I want to eventually make some pretty recurve bows but want to start with stiff handle board bows just to start throwing wood down range in a fairly short amount of time. Thanks.

Offline coaster500

Re: Long time browser wants to get serious...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 10:41:10 am »
I would get a farriers rasp (New or maybe one from a local farrier), a draw knife (I found one at a thrift/antique store) and some sand paper. A couple of clamps can become a vise and any solid table, picnic table, etc can be your bench. Bows have been made with an axe and a knife, even stone tools but not by me. I started with the above and with staves. I have not built a board bow.

Good luck
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 10:56:18 am »
The minimum tool requirement is Knowledge !
Throw in some elbow grease and sweat and it is amazing what can be done !
After that there are a variety of ways to get the job done!
Maybe let us know what you have or what kind of tools you think might be possible to get a hold of .
A hatchet will do allot but not the best for boards !
Have fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Calamitus

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 11:05:17 am »
I plan on looking for a draw knife, maybe a spokeshave as well?, a rasp (or two) of some sort, cabinet scraper, chainsaw file. I know I will need several clamps, more if I plan to do any amount of gluing.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 11:22:44 am »
Spokeshaves have never worked well for me in bow making.

A cheap alternative is a half pair of scissors for a scraper. I use an accusharp scissors sharpener to roll a hook on the cutting edge for fast wood removal.

Here is a basic selfbow making tool kit, about all you will need. The collection consists of  an aggressive rasp, a course file, a chainsaw file for nocks, drawknife, and a couple of cabinet scrapers. You can use anything for a scraper, cabinet scrapers, pocket knife, kitchen knife or perhaps the scissors I mentioned above.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:28:02 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 11:46:04 am »
I’ll second the farrier’s rasp. (Removes a lot of wood fast).
4 in 1 rasp need the curved rasp for fades and handle.
Vice or clamps
Cabinet scraper
Chain saw file
Sand Paper

The draw knife is a learned skill (I haven’t) and is not needed for a board bow.

Keith

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 12:57:55 pm »
for me, some kind of scrapper is imperative! i really think that without one you will have a MUCH harder time. I also agree on the rasps, i use a surform rasp and boy let me tell you, it takes off wood great for an easy fast way to remove wood! i would say its good for shaping the bow. Sandpaper and 0000 grit steel wool is important too, for board bows, since its not one ring, i sand the back until its smooth, then i use the steel wool. the reason for taking that step BEFORE the tillering is to avoid breakages because of a lifting splinter. if you back it that would solve your problem too. For me a band saw makes the profile really easy to make, so if you have one, GREAT! but if not, dont worry about it. I also think a rattail rasp is important too. you will probably want to make a tillering tree as well to help you see the limbs bending without pulling it yourself.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 01:43:21 pm »
The first 4 or 5 bows i made, the only tools i had were a hatchet, old bowie knife, four way rasp, and a chiansaw file for knocks. I bought the four way rasp to make bows with. Everything else i already had. I used bowie knife to chase rings on osage. Hatchet and bowie to rough out to floor tiller. Four way rasp and bowie used as a scraper to tiller with. Did all the work without a vise, usualy sitting on front porch steps with the stave across my lap. Had to hold the end of th stave between my outstretched feet while chasing rings ( never have figured why i wasnt smart enough to use the vise out in the garage) . The point of this being if you want to make a bow bad enough, you probably can jump in using only what you already have, and expand your tool choices as you either want to or can afford to.
Steve Bennett

Offline Guessed

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 03:17:05 pm »
Holy man, everyone uses so much tools. All I have is a makeshift drawknife, a rasp and a chainsaw file lol. My vice/clamp was a hole in the ground. My workbench was a rock.

An old chefs knife could function as a drawknife, just use leather as the other handle. With board bows I'm not sure if one is needed though.

I agree, the best tool is elbow grease, Native people just used rocks and sharp antler and stuff, they made beautiful bows.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 03:24:51 pm »
Dont buy cheap hand tools no matter the urge. They are junk and will wear your body out FAST. I use four tools myelf.

Nicholson Ferriers rasp
10" Shinto
homemade scraper
3/16 round rasp
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 05:45:53 pm »
All you need is a good 7 inch long heavy knife. My first bows were cut down, built, and finished with my K-Bar. Works great! Only tool you NEED.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Calamitus

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 05:55:04 pm »
Excellent lists guys. lol @sleek, Ok who can beat that minimalism? Anyone use their teeth? Eric, how does one roll a hook on scissors with that sharpener? I do want to make a tillering tree and one of those gizmos which looks to be a fantastic way of tillering. Anything I can make myself is good.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 06:44:10 pm »
Draw knife, belt sander, rasp and a sharp Green River knife.  I was given a small set of files as a present that I shape the knocks and overlays with.  Minimalist.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 07:25:54 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 07:42:30 pm »
A few passes with the acusharp sharpner and the hook will form, no effort needed.