Author Topic: Newbie Question...Branch Bows  (Read 3484 times)

chillguy

Newbie Question...Branch Bows
« on: October 08, 2012, 11:47:51 am »
Last year about this time is when I started giving this bow making business a try and even though I haven't made a real solid bow yet I'm hooked. You all are absolutely unreal. The work is outstanding. Yesterday I was going through BOM pics...jaw on the floor. I attempted 3 sapling bows last year and I broke them all  >:D I started to feel bad that I was killing off saplings in my failed attempts was thinking it might be a better idea to make some branch bows for practice and to start develop some skills. I have learned so much from just looking at this sight. Does anyone know a good place to start for branch bows? What woods should I use? Is there a certain style of bow that works best with branches? Thanks in advance God Bless.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Newbie Question...Branch Bows
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 12:23:20 pm »
Classic beginers mistake is starting with something too skinny.
There are guys here making superb branch and sapling bows, but it's tricky, you want to aim for at least 2" wide IMO to give yourself a sporting chance. But even with half of a 2" branch it's still rather thick, and as you start thinning it, it will become narrower, then you may need to decrown and it all get more complicated. That's why board bows are a good way to start.
Or go for a 4" diameter log and start with a 1/4 of it, it will have a flatter back and can be made thinner without automatically going too narrow.
Make it plenty long too, we all start off thinking those short bows with mad curves and flip tips look great, but if you go for a 40# draw weight 64" or more long and 2" wide at least you have a sporting chance of ending up with a shooter (ok it will prob be 25#  ;D )
Once you've got one shooter, you are on your way.
As for wood species, it depends where you are, in the UK, I generally suggest Hazel or Ash as they are plentiful.
Have a look at my Bowyers Diary (just google it) if you want to see how I do it and how I fail...
One word of advice... I don't care how slow you go at it slow down! Only work in short bursts and always put it up on the tiller before and after doing anything, that includes having a mug of tea (or coffee) or taking a leak!
If you really want to go the branch route, make the damn thing 72" long, then you'll have a chance.
BTW. At what draw length are the ybreaking? Maybe stop at a shorter draw, get some shootin' out of one of the bows and see how the limbs hold up, or where they stert to chrysal or bend too much, it might give you an idea where you are going wrong. Post pics here as you progress, you'll get helpful criticism as we've all been through the learning process.
Del
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:28:49 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 12:48:00 pm »
I think Del is probably right. You may be handicapping yourself by starting with branches. I have a bunch of crepe myrtle staves I haven't tackled yet because I don't think I am ready. Too many imperfections to deal with. So far I have worked boards into bows such as red oak, white oak, hickory, hard maple, ipe, and bulletwood, among others. There are definite advantages to working with something straight and flat when laying out the bow, for someone with little or no experience. Out of my first dozen bows I have about a 60% success rate and have learned valuable lessons from my failures. Soon I feel I will be ready to chase a ring and try my hand at heat bending, etc.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 03:10:58 pm »
Dels advise is good, but if your dead bent on a branch. Choose one that is 3-4" in diameter. The part of the branch facing the sky is the back of your bow. Make the bow long 72" is a good length. If it comes in under weight then you can take some length off and and bring up the poundage.
What species do you have available to you?

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline John D

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 03:46:14 pm »
I'll testify to Del's advice also!  I've got 8 board bows under my belt and have been learning a lot without sacrificing materials that required years of dry-time in the learning process.   My bows are probably too wide and probably too long, but I've had fun and enjoyed the thrill of shooting a bow I built.  I'll start pushing the envelope soon and seeing what I can do and I'll know just enough to be dangerous when my split staves are dry enough to get started. 

John

Boise

chillguy

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 04:57:28 pm »
Awesome advise Del. Pinecone- I live in the US midwest and have access to hickory maple oak hedge ash but gathering from y'alls' posts it might be a good idea for me like lesken said to start out with something straight and flat. So board bows are pry the best place to start? I have been breaking around 20-22 inches and that might be as you said starting with something so skinny so might not have been giving myself enough room to work with. Del what size board and what species would you suggest I start with? John that makes sense getting some good practice in while not sacrificing materials that is pry where i pry need to start as well. and again thanks for the replies!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 06:00:37 pm »
Sapling bows are some mean wood. I made three HHB sapling bows this summer. They all turned out great, two are owned by PA members now. I like the tight rings. Your draw weight can be limited to its diameter. I started with 3-4" saplings on all mine and the bows are all 50# plus.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 06:03:01 pm »
For the record the bow I sent out to make up for a bow swap deadbeat was turned into a bow 28 days after I cut it down.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 06:36:32 pm »
What kind of tools do you have? If you have access to "hedge" I assume you mean hedgeapple/osage? Also Hickory is a good, forgiving wood as well as some of the others you mentioned. If you are starting with a board, I would start with a hickory board with as straight grain as you can get since it is generally cheaper than osage, at least around here. Start long and wide with the intention of over building as early bows tend to come out light.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 06:42:48 pm »
Awesome advise Del. Pinecone- I live in the US midwest and have access to hickory maple oak hedge ash but gathering from y'alls' posts it might be a good idea for me like lesken said to start out with something straight and flat. So board bows are pry the best place to start? I have been breaking around 20-22 inches and that might be as you said starting with something so skinny so might not have been giving myself enough room to work with. Del what size board and what species would you suggest I start with? John that makes sense getting some good practice in while not sacrificing materials that is pry where i pry need to start as well. and again thanks for the replies!
LOL...
I've never made a board bow in my life! ;D  :o
I was speaking from experience regarding everything else, but the suggestion of a board bow was from what I've picked up, read, heard on here and learned from guys I've helped to get started.
I hope you don't think I'm a fraud! :-[
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline John D

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 06:52:20 pm »
I had good results with a hickory board.  My first was a hickory pyramid bow about 74" long.  Like I said,  probably too long and probably too wide, but I learned from it and had fun building and shooting it  :)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 08:14:55 pm »
It's okay del I've never made a board bow either, but still think its a good idea for newbs to do while there staves dry
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 08:40:52 pm »
If you have all that good wood down there i would go for a branch/sapling bow or anything you can get your hands on. I have made quite a few 1" sapling bows from woods such as serviceberry, and most of them aren't long and have decent draw weights, so with all those great woods i would say go for it!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

chillguy

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 09:06:11 pm »
Haha Del don't think you are fraud. I will try and break some boards before I decide to break all the good wood around me lol ;) leskeni-I only have the basic hand tools hatchet rasps scrapers and so on. Planning on it Zion just need to break a couple boards first  :laugh: thanks for the advice lesken and everyone else that posted let the breaking begin.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 09:21:45 pm »
Boards are a good starting point but dont shy away from a challenge every once in awhile, especially if you have an abundance of good bow wood around you. You will learn a lot more from your failures than your successes.