Author Topic: backing material question  (Read 1226 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
backing material question
« on: October 07, 2012, 06:24:26 am »
Which is stronger raw silk , or flax linen?
 Also is there any issue with either bonding , or dying?
 I have used linen With good results But I am curious about silk And which I should purchase for backing... Thanks for any input :D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Hrothgar

Re: backing material question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 06:30:57 pm »
I've read conflicting articles purporting the strength of one over the other, I don't know. It might depend upon the weight, or number of strands per inch or some other factor. I've always used linen with very good results. Its about half the cost of silk, glues good, sands and takes paint good. If you use Titebond II or III it should dry and be ready in go in 24 hours.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 07:08:42 pm »
I haven't used cloth as a backing, yet, but researched it some. I know the linen comes in different weights. I just picked up some the other day at the cloth store. They were out of the heavier version, but this one feels about like silk and will probably work fine. I also picked up some silk ties at the local thrift shop, but have yet to try any of it, yet. Don't forget about paper. As Pat B pointed out, paper is made of wood, & when combined with glue....well, you get the idea.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 07:35:10 pm »
I bought a yard of 7 oz. linen canvas and have backed three bows with it and had great results on each one. Titebond II worked good with it and I don't have a bad thing to say about it.  I used it over a spot on a bow that I left too much inner bark on the back (winter cut stave).  It was beginning to lift a splinter, or at least looked like it was in danger of doing so.  That linen cloth glued over it has kept it shooting for over a year since then.    I never tried silk but I hear it is strong as well. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 09:26:54 pm »
I have found some 10 oz.linen is there a point where the fabric is to thick for backing? Will it add to much weight

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 09:56:40 pm »
The limit is right around 9.998 oz linen.  Anything more than that will cause your bow to lose speed, your arrows to drop quicker than anticipated, and your hemerrhoids to flare up. 

Actually, 10 oz is pretty similar to the weight of canvas that Levis and others use in their jeans.  It's fairly heavy stuff, especially when it sops up the glue.  I believe the weight of the cloth is registered in oz. per square yard.  Whatcha got will work, I've used that weight before.  Next time see what you can find in a tighter weave and around 6-7 oz. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 03:19:57 am »
I have not purchased it yet... the 6 to 7 really better or should I go with the 10oz.per yard

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 10:47:28 am »
I have limited experience with various backing materials, but I have read that heavier is slower, and I think it really depends on the amount of protection you need which varies depending on the quality of the stave. For instance, If you are adding protection to a back with some slight ring violations, you might need less protection than a board with run offs. Also some woods are more forgiving than others.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 10:51:58 am »
High thread count linen is the strongest and lightest next to silk. I got a wonderful silk backed bow for my b-day  a few years back,its flinging arras,and the dye job/art work is still unchanged. I would even consider brown paper bag before the 10 oz. stuff. but high thread count linen is good,and pretty cheap.
laugh. its good for ya