Author Topic: falling batting average  (Read 2634 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
falling batting average
« on: October 05, 2012, 01:42:21 am »
Someone needs to shoot me and put me out of my misery... I can't make a point to save my life!
 I am in a huge slump, I thought I figure some things out but I guess not as my average has dropped to about 1 point per 12 pounds of material, and to top it off I smashed my thumb again... okay I'm done crying now, I will dry my tears pick up my blood soaked hammer stone and try again... can anyone feel my pain?
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline TRACY

Re: falling batting average
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 07:39:53 am »
   Sounds real similar. Keep trying and you will get there. I've ruined a couple more pounds than 12 trying to make a point.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 08:12:37 am »
12 lbs down and 1988lbs to go :o it takes a ton or least it sure seems like it does. This is a blood sport but the less you spill of your own the better !!!!!!!!!!
Bone
Venice Florida

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 08:29:21 am »
Once i got it the amount of material decreased per point. Step up and swing again!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 11:10:43 am »
You're not alone...I was into making point on a regular basis this spring and was felling pretty good about my progress and skill.  I moved, packed everything and didn't touch a flake for 6 months and went out back one night last week...felt and looked like I was a blind one armed bandit and crushed, broke or destroyed everything I touched.  It certainly wasn't like riding a bike for me...haven't been back out to try as it depressed me quite a bit  ???
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline StevenT

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 12:11:06 pm »
My thumb is throbbing just reading your post. Somewhere in that pile of rocks is one with a good point in it. The hard part is finding the right rock.  I haven't been very good at that myself.  :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 02:01:40 pm »
My thumb is just now shedding that last bit of the dark patch on my thumbnail from a recent whack with a billet.  Thought I was going to loose the nail.   >:(  Anyways, when I get into a slump it's usually because I want to make the points too thin and getting angry when I can't stop breaking them.  The solution is make 'em thick and without deep notches, for now.  You can go back later and fix 'em up. :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 02:41:56 pm »
Dang that hurts just thinking about it.  I missed with the bopper swinging real hard trying to spall a chunk of flint the other day.  Was afraid I broke my leg for a minute.  Left a mark...

George
St Paul, TX

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 04:10:24 pm »
Yeah, I've done that too George. So far I've never hit my thumb but my leg has taken quite a beating in the past!

Soy, don't get too discouraged. Every knapper I know has started the same way. Only the ones that persever ever make nice points. Console yourself with the knowledge that this is a dying skill and by learning it you place yourself in a very small group of people.   ;)

Scott

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 05:16:17 pm »
Thanks everybody is good to know that I'm not alone , but my thumb is sore today did some wood cutting broken open bleeding all over the place :'( yep hope to uh make it better to future ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 05:53:29 pm »
... can anyone feel my pain?

Nope.  Can't feel a thing.  Try hitting it harder!  I can take it as long as you can, buddy!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 06:14:18 pm »
Soy, Knapping is a rough ride. The journey is so rewarding that the rough ride is worrth it tenfold, so get back on , it does eventually get easier, never easy, but at least for me so rewarding, Knapping for me was one of the hardest skills to learn. I am 64 an tryed alot of differnt stuff but nothing compares to the learning curve of knapping. Hang on an enjoy the ride.  Bob   ps. Hey it's so easy any caveman can do it. :o :o

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 02:55:38 pm »
Back off a little and just spall and percussion out some preforms,pretty soon things get feeling natural again and you can start pressure flaking out some points,gotta be relaxed. Good luck !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 02:59:23 pm »
No!  No!  Show it who's boss!  Get out a bigger bopper and really lean into it!  Hehehe!   >:D

Whup 'em Soybeans!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 11:28:48 pm »
Back off a little and just spall and percussion out some preforms,pretty soon things get feeling natural again and you can start pressure flaking out some points,gotta be relaxed. Good luck !  '  Frank

The spalling and preform is where im loosing the battle ...ill hopefully get out pf this slump before i run out pf material