Author Topic: Propeller twist-need 2nd opinion  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Propeller twist-need 2nd opinion
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:57:20 pm »
I have this 64" hackberry stave thats giving me problems-- its floor tillered, 2 1/4" wide at the fades. It has a twist at one end, but also a curve about 2/3 of the way up one. I can probably sand or scrape that small pin knot without any ill effects, it tends to accentuate the curve in the photo. I was wondering if it would be best to leave the twist or try to heat and 'untwist' it some--I would guess it to be about 30-35 degrees.
Thanks, Eric
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Propeller twist-need 2nd opinion
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:53:57 pm »
Here are a couple more pics that show the twist better. I guess I would need to start at about the handle area since it seems to begin there.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:13:10 pm »
If it were me, I would heat the twist out of it.  Some guys don't worry about it, but I like to get the tips straight with the handle.  Getting the twist out is fairly easy with a heat gun and some weight on the tips.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 11:36:23 pm »
I for one would leave the prop twist.
Do what you need to so that the string tracks through the handle though.

I like use what nature gave me.
I'm gonna be building another anyway, so If i dont like something then I will try to avoid it next time around.
I'm always trying to learn.

To each his/her (do you know any female bowyers?) own.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 11:58:57 pm »
I wouldn't bother with it.  Most of the bows I have made have prop twist to some degree, including the last Hackberry bow I made.  It twisted 15 degrees or so on one limb and kept going for another 15 degrees on the other limb.  When strung, you don't see it, and it has no effect as far as I can see on performance.  Heating and bending wood weakens it.  You therefore have to have more mass to counter the loss which has a negative effect on cast.  Probably a very small effect, but some.  Why bother if it's just a cosmetic fix.  Just my take.  Got a buddy that just won't have prop twist, no way!  Offends his sensibilities.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 01:37:39 am »
Not enough twist to worry about. Build the damn bow!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Guessed

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 02:04:01 am »
I only made 1 bow so far but one of my limbs has that same twist. I just went ahead and built it anyway, it works fine lol.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 05:28:23 am »
I agree with the others. Just leave a bit of extra width at the tip of the twisted limb to allow extra sideways adjustment of the nock to help keep that string line true.
Keep and eye on it by looking at it from the side when it's on the tiller as well as straight on.
E.g looking down the length of the bow when its at half draw will help you see if its  pulling back ok or trying to bend sideways. Prob be ok on a wide flat bow.
ELB can really try to go sideways on you if you don't watch out.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 05:50:44 am »
Like has been said to each their own,but I'm with Osage O ,to easy to straighten it out with dry heat,so I would take the propeller out.  :) I see no reason to leave
it when it is so easy to remove.  :) Now on the other hand if you don't have the stuff to do that and don't want to invest in a heat gun and a few clamps it will be fine,just may have to tweak the nocks so the string lays correct and don't pop off. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 07:40:49 am »
I have had the same problem recently on a yew bow. I was adding slight re-curves and just carried the heat further down the limb clamping and adding shims as I went. This pulled or flattened out the twist along the way.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 10:37:37 am »
I say straighten it out...  hackberry take to heat like a duck to water :)

Clamp wars with some propeller twist and Vinemaple ????

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 10:58:47 am »
In my opinion hackberry should be heat treated. And since it needs to be tempered,most of that twist will come out over a form while its being heat treated. Kill two birds with one stone.

*edit*...actually you can kill mutliple birds with one stone this way..you can fix twist,side profile issues,induce reflex,string tracking etc...all while tempering it over a form. I've taken nasty 90 degre plus twisted staves with ups n downs,and string tracking off by 2"+,and fixed it all over a form in one tempering session and inducing some reflex n shape.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:04:54 am by blackhawk »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 10:59:31 am »
Great pic Coaster looks like one of those Escher drawings :D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 11:26:07 am »
When I saw that mess I couldn't help myself...  had to get the camera ;)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 06:27:50 pm »
There is obviously no "right" answer for this bow because it's not enough twist to really be messy to work with and the wood does take heat like a duck to water. 

If you do decide to take out the twist, you can take a few degrees with every 6 inches of limb and never really have to strain hard to get it! 

Best of luck, and as always, post pics.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.