Author Topic: Bow Weight Versus Draw..?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Bow Weight Versus Draw..?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 05:43:23 am »
;D Thanks guys i think that sums it up. So having read all the posts i would assume to allways go for the maximum draw pull one can achieve through proper tilling, bow design, etc...........etc..........
HANG ON THERE! :o
In the very much simplified area under the curve analysis the weight and draw are equally important. The 'Half' which gets multiplied in apples to the whole thing, not just the draw. (It's just half so you are getting the area of the triangle not a whole rectangle)
It just happens that the figures you chose showed more energy at the higher draw because you reduced the poundage by 20% but only increased the draw length by about 10% NOT FAIR :-[ :-X
Bottom line is you need to be drawing as far as is comfortable/consistent/practical at a weight which is manageable and controllable.
Just taking one example proves now't.
If you change it to 50# @26" (=650) vs  45# @31"(=697.5) it looks to be round the other way :laugh:
In fact I'd argue that extra draw is more effective in real terms as the extra inch or so is always at a highest draw weight of the bow, thus the fairer comparison would be.
50# @ 26" vs 50# @ 31" which self evidently gives much more power.
Now having 'proved' that allow me to sell you a set of my excellent "Del the Cat Draw Extenders" for people with short arms ::) there's a free tube of 'no set' cream with each pourchase .

It also depends what is suiatble for the planned use of the bow, you don't want 40# at 26" for shooting armoured French Knights and you don't want 140# @ 31" for shooting Turkeys.
Now Armoured Turkeys on horseback....?
Del
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:01:25 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 09:37:23 am »
All things being equal (same type of bow, same brace height, etc...) the bow pulling 40# @ 28" draw would have longer cast than the bow pulling 50# @ 25" draw.  I don't have alot of facts/figures to back this claim up, just alot of experimentation with different poundage bows over the years.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 11:02:48 am »
 Oh this is so good! :o :o 
Del, If I get those extenders how do I keep the string from slapping me in the back of the head? :-\

Think I need to start shooting with my feet so I can hit 27" instead of 25" >:D

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 11:51:02 am »
Keenan thats funny. I can picture that string slapping the back of the head, lol   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God