Author Topic: Eastern Red Cedar core possibilities.  (Read 1670 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Eastern Red Cedar core possibilities.
« on: October 04, 2012, 03:24:24 pm »
I'm having some possibly bad thoughts here....LOL.I was wondering whether red cedar would hold up as a core to sinew and horn.Just in the working portion of the limb.I know too much bamboo alone will crush it unless trapped properly.Sinew alone works well with it.I think I've seen it as a core on some FG bows,but they were put together with two or three thinner laminations with glue between.Then it has G on both sides of it too.I want at least 55 pounds out of this cedar 58" to 60" long stiff handled but working into the fades,and still hold at least 3 to 5 inch reflex.Has anyone out there created such a bow from red cedar or seen one?I've never worked with red cedar yet.I've done some investigating and don't see anything yet.Maybe it is'nt possible that's why.......LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Eastern Red Cedar core possibilities.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 07:55:40 pm »
I personally can't see why not, I have made bamboo backed eastern red cedar bows... :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:31:11 pm »
I don't see why not either in the application and manner your wanting to. I'm assuming you want to do something similar as your last one? Id use 100% clean wood though(zero knots or pins) to ensure a safer bow,and better chances. Why not use maple tho? It has great all around traits for any type of horn bow,great gluing properties,strong in shear,its still fairly light etc...oh,but its not that gorgeous redish purple n plain jane white....lol :laugh:

Now in an asiatic horn bow,I don't know about that.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:36:35 pm »
It probably would work but it would be the potential weak link out of the 3 materials. I would stay away from it because you want a wood that is strong in shear, good ol'maple is far superior in that regard. A horn/sinew bow is a lot of work, it makes sense to me to use the best suited materials for longevity.
                                                                                       Hamish.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:59:25 pm »
Yes blackhawk only a few inches longer with cedar.Maybe 64" with a bunch of reflex.It's just one of those growing plans that evolve the more I think about it.
Maple would be good but I don't have any.
Thanks fellas.
vinemaplebows....What did you get out of that BBERC?Did you like it?
BowEd
Ed

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 12:19:47 am »
You would have to ask Mullet I gave the bow to him because I sent my finger through the joiner making it. I got it mostly tillered if I remember right, but never shot it ...light in the hand. I agree with Blackhawk....clean wood!

VMB

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 02:45:37 am »
Don't even think about it in a hornbow..... :(

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 03:43:40 am »
Ummm, dude, Vivemaple, how is your hand? Did it recover with full usage and feeling???
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 07:28:01 am »
Sounds like I should sinew red cedar with about 4 courses and see what I get.Recurve the tips a bit.I expect a smooth shooter.62" range starting 2" wide stiff handle but working into the fades.Tiller it out to 18" maybe get it bending evenly get a good estimate to the poundage at 28"say at least 45 pounds then sinew it then finish it out.Reverse brace it a bit to 5 to 6 inches after sinewing.I want to end up with a bow in the 50 to 60 pound range.I've read about sinew making longitudal cracks in the belly while curing on this juniper wood.No harm to the function of the bow if they don't run off.Just looks bad.Putting duck tape on the belly after sinewing was thougt to be the solution.So the moisture could'nt escape through the belly after sinewing.
BowEd
Ed

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 12:47:54 pm »
For the most part not a problem, it's always been numb on the tip of my finger, otherwise...fine. My wife thinks i'm a reptile, and can grow parts back... :laugh:

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 06:12:25 pm »
My wife thinks i'm a reptile, and can grow parts back... :laugh:

Laugh all she wants, at least you can count to ten without taking off your shoes.

The only reason I don't have hair on my knuckles is because it wears off from dragging on the sidewalk.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 10:22:29 pm »
 ;D