Author Topic: decoys for deer?  (Read 1148 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
decoys for deer?
« on: October 02, 2012, 09:53:17 pm »
Have any of you tried using a decoy for deer hunting?
 I'm tossing around the idea but I don't know if I wanna spend the money...
 Any positive or negative experiences , or opinions... Tips pointers Or comments would be helpful I guess
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: decoys for deer?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:35:12 pm »
I've used decoys. Well, if you count my mckenzie target as a decoy. The does seem to like it, the smaller bucks seemed to fall for it, but were very hesitant. Used it for a decoy one morning, then used it for a target the same day. I forgot it, and left it in my yard over night with some scent on it. I found it pushed across the yard the next morning with all kinds of tracks, something beat it up pretty good overnight. I have also used the inflatable decoys with some success, but again the big boys didn't seem to fall for it.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 11:39:49 pm »
Thanks for the input Dave

Offline Kpete

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 11:28:39 am »
I have had decent success with a decoy.  Doesn't work all the time.   If I set it up as a buck, I only put on one antler, supposed to be less intimitdating.   It did position deer for a good shot.  Holds their attention, but some of them are pretty nervous.  Others are pretty curious and walk all around it.
I pinned a piece of white trash bag to the tail area to flip and flutter in the wind. 
Just another tool for you to use. Works sometimes, sometimes not.  Kind of like duck decoys-they work great if the ducks want to land where you put the decoys. 
Good luck

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 10:07:37 pm »
Kpete... Thank you for the input , I have decoy turkeys ducks geese with success... So I guess let's give this 1 a whirl , did you use any sent on the decoy