Author Topic: question about the trading post..  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Blacktail

question about the trading post..
« on: October 01, 2012, 12:53:41 am »
i really didnt know where to ask this SO if it needs to be moved that is o.k....my question is...do you think its a good trade for some one to ask a 2-1 for bow wood..... even if its billets....just asking....john

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: question about the trading post..
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 12:59:35 am »
Can you explain a bit more? If you are refering to a trade like...osage for yew...good yew sells for up to $200 , osage half that, or less. So, I could see asking for 2 staves if you are thinking on a monetary value system.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:13:40 am by vinemaplebows »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 03:15:19 am »
vinemaple hit the nail right on the head, it depends on the quality & value of the staves
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 09:06:16 pm »
yeah that is my question...i have billets..i don't know if i want to trade right now..i was just wondering if its fair..i was told by a bowyer Friend that 2-1 is what some people trade when it comes to yew...i cant stand the $200 price on yew..it drives me nuts..it just a pain to get some times from the fs..john

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 10:27:11 pm »
If I had good yew wood and wanted to trade.....I would most likely want 2 staves of lesser wood.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 11:46:42 pm »
If I had good yew staves I might ask 3 or 4 to 1. I can't see where 2'fers would be anywhere out of line. I live in decent Osage country and would be willing to trade my black walnut, elm, mulberry, and hackberry 2 for 1 on osage, and 3 to 1 for yew since it's not available to me locally. JMO!
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.