Author Topic: Here's my bow / opening day tomorrow 49" of bad attitude  (Read 3408 times)

Offline half eye

Here's my bow / opening day tomorrow 49" of bad attitude
« on: September 30, 2012, 05:33:23 pm »
Hey fellas,
      Our season opens tomorrow, got my 3 licenses, but also got 3 bows to try to get bloody.
Got a very nice shorty from "bubby" and one from "hrhodes". so I hurried up and made me a shorty to try my hand at "authentic" equipment (short bow and arrows)
     This bow was a slippery elm self bow with 1-1/2" of set and about 43# so I resurfaced the back and laminated on a white ash backer.....very minor retiller needed....now the bow is 58# @ 24" and about all I want for weight.
     Enjoy the pics.....and dont laugh at the "full draw" because my huntin spot is real low and small and this bow suits me to a "T". Now if only the deer cooperate ::)
rich
PS: I titled my bow Grey dog is coming, so in french that's  "Le chien gris a' venir" hence the tracks on the bow's back.

Offline k-hat

Re: Here's my bow / opening day tomorrow 49" of bad attitude
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 05:48:40 pm »
Wow, very nice half eye!  I love all of your bows.  Would you just try once to make an ugly stick so i'll know you're normal? ;)

Good luck with your hunt'n, i'm sure Grey dog will serve you well.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 05:51:50 pm »
Wow, you must have over 500 bows now  :o Real nice, i love shorties, way to maximize the bend  ;D.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 05:52:50 pm »
Very cool rich. I have one quick question though. I have heard a variety of places that most NA bows were in the 40-50 pound range. Would you have felt confident going after deer with the same bow before you laminated on the backing strip? 43# seems right in the weight range of the old NA bows. And with your post on the arrows page, it seems like 24" would have been a very authentic draw length. Since your the master at these bows, just thought I'd ask.

Jon

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 06:15:54 pm »
Thanks fellas, Ifrit....that's enough bow but I'm not used to shooting that weight, and it's late to try shiftin gears this close to season. The other thing is I dont believe they wanted a pass through....like the longer it's in the more damage it does sort of thing.....they are also master trackers. We wont go into how they REALLY hunted deer in particular.

So yes 43 would be enough. In Michigan the minimum legal bow weight is only 30# but most of the hunters and DNR officers think the minimum should be right around 40#. Just hit 'em where your lookin and have the sharpest head ya can shoot. Be patient with your tracking as well.
rich

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 06:38:34 pm »
Another nice one, Rich! Good luck tomorrow! I can't go till Tue.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 06:39:41 pm »
How do you pull it off???? you turn out bows nearly every 2-3 days!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 08:08:46 pm »
Dang Rich, if I crouched that low I couldn't shoot the bow and it'd take 2 guys to get me standing again... ::)  Nice looking bow and great tiller, good luck tomorrow. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 09:40:53 pm »
Great looking stick Rich, and may all things be in your favor tomorrow. shoot'em straight.
Graylan

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 09:56:39 pm »
Very nice bow Rich and that bend is a thing of beauty also. I'll say it again,I love your bows man! Hope Grey Dog takes a deer tomorrow.
Our season starts tomorrow but that damn work thing will get in the way of what I would rather be doing  >:(. I will be out there on Thur. or
Fri. for sure. Good luck to you.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 10:27:05 pm »
Good looking bow Rich Good luck on your hunt

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 11:12:30 pm »
We have a lot in common Rich.  Our opening day is tomorrow also and I'll be hunting with a 49" bow as long as it is dry.  Got a couple of other bows in the lineup as well.  Good luck to you and nice job on the bow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline SA

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 11:24:38 pm »
another cool bow , i like the tracks painted on it too .
 quick question , do you notice any performance  change on a 58# at 24''  compared to 58# at 26'' i guess i am just wandering if a longer or shorter  draw has more cast or speed on short bows.
Shawn Acker

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 11:25:41 pm »
I like it Rich! Fine job again. Good luck tomorrow, I'll be in the woods for lunch. It's a full moon tonight. Not sure why, but around these parts when it's a full moon the night before, I don't see a lot of movement till late morning. I'm sure grey dog will chase one down for ya.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 12:10:09 am »
Good luck in the morning Rich. I have no doubt about your bows or arrows. It is all up to you...and the deer!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC