Author Topic: One more hunting point  (Read 1634 times)

Offline gstoneberg

One more hunting point
« on: September 28, 2012, 12:05:02 am »
I started shooting my flint arrows today, but only have 2 done I really like.  Interestingly, they fly best cock feather in instead of out.  Not sure why.  Anyway, I needed another point to finish out my hunting arrows so I found a heated spall from Patrick and chipped out a point.

It had an interesting concrete spot that ended up being near the point end.

Kind-a looks like an eye. ???  The point is thicker there, but I think it'll be OK.  I'm going to wait until after I've hafted and shot it to finish the sharpening.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

Re: One more hunting point
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 02:01:02 pm »
Perfect size for hunting. Man you are really cranking them out.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 10:53:29 pm »
Another good point George! I've had a few that shot better with cock feather in, never questioned it as long as it hit where I aim ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 11:03:08 pm »
Thanks guys.  I've shot all 4 arrows now, and this point flies best of them, not sure why.  Again, cock feather in, but it is a dart.  I have it sharpened up and in the quiver.  Hope the wind and rain don't keep me out of the woods tomorrow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 12:21:32 am »
I bet it flys good cuz it can see where is going with that eye ;) that's a good looking Point George
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 09:26:48 pm »
Nice point
Rob

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 11:03:23 pm »
OH... That's nice George :o

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 12:55:32 am »
 8)Them are lookin pretty good George. Are you sure you haven't been doing this for awhile and just snookerin us?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 01:33:09 am »
Well Fred, I've been at it about a year and a half.  I'm doing all right with the heated stone, dacite and obsidian.  The raw flint kicks my butt.

Thanks guys for the kind words.  I sat in the deer stand tonight and this point is on my #1 arrow.  Sadly I bumped the deer coming in across the little pasture so I sat in vain.  Should have left work a little earlier.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 01:55:12 am »
George, I normally don't venture out until it cools down and through the weekend the lows are going to be in the 20's. This may be the weekend for me.
I'm going to give it a go with my BBB Bobcat (Bob Barnes) and some old standby trade points on bamboo arrows.
I'm really looking forward to those stone points. Next year on my agenda is going to be learning how to knap (I already know how to nap).
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 09:36:39 am »
. Next year on my agenda is going to be learning how to knap (I already know how to nap).
[/quote]

Im becoming quite an expert at napping myyself. ::)
Steve Bennett

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 10:54:22 am »
I thought it had cooled down enough but I was miserable last night.  Soaked my camo shirt through.  No deer in its right mind would have come anywhere near me.  Big cold front is going through and our low tonight will be 51.  Good sleeping weather.  This is the big downside to Texas.  The whole bow season is pretty much too hot to hunt.

Not only am I a great napper, I've learned to do it in any position.  Going to have to be careful in my tree stand. 

I tried to put on one of those safety harnesses last night that comes with the stand and is a huge tangle of straps.  That may have contributed to making me late.  I'm going to get a vest type harness at Cabelas before I go again.  Also need to come up with a way of holding the arrow on that floppy leather bow rest.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 11:34:12 pm »
George I think your points look fantastic and I'm going to be bugging you after the 1st of the year to teach me how to do this.

Our weather in your old country took a drastic change the past few days and I've had to crank up the boxwood stove. Last night 32 and tonight ought to kill off all those devastating midges when it hits 22 degrees.

I haven't been out yet although the season opener was a couple weeks ago. Now things might change as this is more my type of weather.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 12:17:04 am »
Be happy to do what I can, but there are other knappers on here waaaay better than I am.  However, if we get together I'll be happy to show the little bit I know.

Our weather just took a turn for the cold as well.  Feels wonderful.  Not gonna be killing any bugs here for a long time though.

Good luck when you get out.  I scouted a new property tonight, looks great.

George
St Paul, TX