Author Topic: collecting pitch  (Read 1438 times)

Offline boughnut

collecting pitch
« on: September 27, 2012, 11:41:05 am »
Ok so I have been trying to collect my own pine pitch I have searched my hunting woods and can not find a single scared pine tree anywhere so I decieded to scare my own.  I drilled a 1/4" hole about 1" deep and placed a plastic cup under it.  It has been about a week and half and I might have enough to haft 2 point.  My question is how badly can I scare a very large pine tree maybe 20" diameter or larger without hurting it to bad.  I though about using a hatchet and creating the kinda V chanel in it like they did in the old days to collect it for terpintin.  Any one have any experince with this?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: collecting pitch
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 09:43:05 pm »
Those trees up where you live don't produce like the Longleafs down here. If you find some "lighter knot", "fat lighter", heart pine, or just some pine, you can boil it and the pitch will float on the surface.

Just take a stick and twirl it through the mess letting it stick to the wood. When it gets too hot just dip it in cold water and twirl it some more till you get a ball on your stick. I'm also going to the woods this weekend scouting. Let me see if I can find some trees that four wheelers and dozers have been bouncing off.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline boughnut

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 11:18:04 pm »
thanks mullet I never though about boiling lighter knot I have a huge trunk of it I almost broke my leg on the last time I was carring out some hickory logs was going to get it for fire starting material soon.  I will have to make it sooner than later.  The wood here are untouched by vehicles at least the land I hunt no roads what so ever.  A Place where I used to hunt I could walk out of camp and in 10 minutes come back with a pound from all the tractors and such scaring up the trees but that lease was sold off a few years ago.  I will take what I can get as I haft many points each season.  What I had left I traded thinking I could find more, oops. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:49:48 pm »
If I find some this weekend I'll send you some, I'm out, too. Just split it up like kindling wood when you boil it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 12:40:27 am »
     You might try dressing up like Jason, and rev up your chain saw, and run towards the tree, yelling, die tree, die!  That might scare it! ;) ::) :P  Sorry, couldn't resist. ;D ;D
Just do like Eddie said, or if you can find some trees with injuries, you should be able to get some that way.  I have a lot of trees here that have old scars, and wounds, with hardened sap weeps on them.  These are lodge pole pines, firs, and Ponderosa pines.
If you live where there are birch trees, you can put a wad of bark in a can, and set on a small fire, coals, or burner, and the pitch will leach out, and you can pour it into a container, and then dip a stick into that.  At least that is what the guy did on you tube.  Look up birch pitch.  But if you have a hunk of lighter wood, just use that like Eddie said.     
                                                      Wayne
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 04:28:14 am by stickbender »

Offline Newbow

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 02:32:47 am »
Here's the link to a YouTube video with all you'll ever need to know about making pitch glue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhgU2ohJbwc
(Trust me.)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 08:06:51 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I needed that this morning. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline StevenT

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 10:30:29 am »
Man, he made that look easy.  :) :) :)

Offline boughnut

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 11:36:38 am »
Here's the link to a YouTube video with all you'll ever need to know about making pitch glue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhgU2ohJbwc
(Trust me.)

That was good Thanks