Author Topic: First bow in Ash  (Read 2774 times)

KevinH

First bow in Ash
« on: September 26, 2012, 03:14:32 am »
I'm about to start my very first bow using Ash, cutting out straight from the trunk. I am copying the design of a Holmegaard bow.
I would welcome anyones comments or advice.

Offline sleek

Re: First bow in Ash
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 03:59:44 am »
Comment: Post lots of pics!
Advice: Burn all the wood you cut, and never make a bow, its a dangerous addiction...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 04:07:50 am »
I would prefer to call it a hobby  ::) Theres a saying that goes something like this "a hobby is a controlled addiction" i think its fine to have a dangerous hobby   ;D besides its always fun when you just cant stop making them! its something that you just dont really get until you start, but thats ok, no big deal if you spend your time like that living from one bow to the next  ;)
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:12:52 am »
Jump in with both feet,keep us updated on the progress,and if we can help along the way ,just ask. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

KevinH

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 03:40:25 pm »
I have been out today and found an Ash ready felled, which saved some work. I think it looks OK, no limbs or blemishes.
Will finish cutting of the unwanted extra length tomorrow and pull it out (uphill) with the L200 pickup. Here are some photos and thanks for the encouragement!

KevinH

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 03:53:46 pm »
Had to post them seperately, will get the hang of it i'm sure.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 03:59:35 pm »
thats a fine looking log yah got there, should make multiple bows. ive always wanted to try Ash. got some oregon white on the property here, but i cant bring myself to cut it.

Welcome to the sickness:D

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline John D

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 04:03:53 pm »
Hey Kevin,

On the end of the log in your last picture, are those white marks from mushrooms?

John

Boise

KevinH

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 07:13:38 pm »
I’ll look when I go back it may be, but I’d be surprised if it was as it was felled within a month or less.
The woodland is unusual in being mostly Ash, originally grown for coppicing and on chalk soil.
This area is being cleared of dead wood this year and so it rotates in areas annually. We do have ‘brackets’ growing on some of the Ash trees and I have a picture of a very small one that is growing nearby, the other is of a friend with several in a wood 8 miles away.