Author Topic: Fell out of a tree tonight  (Read 5699 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Fell out of a tree tonight
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 01:51:44 pm »
Glad you are ok Clint. Falls are bad and can lead to a life of pain. My falls were work related when I was much younger, and they told me I would be in serious shape latter in life. Some how I expected 80- 90 and not 48. Taking the time to be safe pays huge dividends even If you don't ever see what could of happened.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 05:38:22 pm »
Dangit Clint!!  Glad your ok!!  Kinda makes me think though, I have gone up in my climber without a harness and hve been lucky so far. 
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Kpete

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 07:25:03 pm »
There are lots of good gadgets available to keep you safe.  You might find one now that you can LIVE with.  Injuries can cause others problems in caring for us after we get hurt.  I am a guy with over 100 stitches and 7 broken bones.   I try not to push things anymore.
glad you are OK. 

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 08:49:22 pm »
I'm up and moving around this morning and my lower back is still a little tight, but not bad at all.  It's still hard to believe that 240 lbs falling from that distance didn't do more damage.  I feel very lucky.

It's not the fall distance or the weight that matters my friend...it's the way you stop at the bottom.  I've fallen off ladders 3 times and the first 2 were non-events even though one was about 20'.  The last one was only around 8' but busted me up bad because I landed on the ladder and wasn't able to roll or slide.

I hope this turns out to be a non-event for you.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 11:21:53 pm »
I am very sorry you had this accident and very glad you don't seem to be badly injured.  I am, in a way, glad it happened and that you posted this so early into the hunting season so it could be a head's up to everyone to keep "situational awareness" while in the woods. 

There are only a few people in here that I don't have much fond feelings over, but I don't even wanna hear about those people getting hurt.  Let's all be careful out there.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 11:07:46 am »
That is a terrible feeling when your going down and you know there's not a damn thing you can do about it.  I had a ladder slip on me a few years back and I fell, only about 9 feet to concrete.  I made that same grunting noise on the way down and I think you're right about it being some type of reaction.  I bet it's similar to the releasing of air out of our lungs when punching something, etc.

Anyhow, glad you didn't get hurt.
1’—>1’

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 10:40:12 pm »
Man Clint your lucky you didn't break an arm or sumpthin this close to bow season.  i have a buddy who was one tough fella, but fell asleep in a latter and broke his back @ the shoulders.  now he lays on a couch, since '07.  I don't always wear one, and sometimes I wear the "belt" that I got back in 1985.  That's my fav and the most dangerous.  when I don't have one on I think about my buddy. I got freaked out last season and missed a good shot because I didn't want to stand up and lean out.  Didn't want to or couldn't?  I plan on wearing one this year, but one of my trees is too big for all my belts, maybe have to attach two, how safe is that?

glad all is well Clint.  derik 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 01:53:36 am »

Also glad that you are ok.  Lucky you didn't do internal injuries.  You can
do some nasty damage to your internal organs, by tearing them loose, or tearing
items like your liver, spleen, pancreas, etc.  If you had been wearing your harness, would you still be dangling from the tree ? ::) ;D ;D
I was hunting in Florida years ago, in a place called Brown's Farm.  It used to be a tomato farm, and bell peppers, cucumbers, and so forth.  Well it is all over grown, and has been for 40 or fifty or more years.  It is a state management area now.  Anyway, the primary soil is muck.  Which is like peat.  Well I am black powder hunting, and on foot, when out in the open, I see this nice twelve foot wooden ladder.  Not more than fifty yards, there is a nice little myrtle bush head, so I get the idea to put the ladder in the myrtle bush head, and have a nice little stand, in a nice area.  Well, I tote the ladder there, set it up stomp the steps, and back braces, into the muck to stabilize it, and climb up.  Well, it was great, had a grey fox walk within ten feet of me, and several does. so for an hour or so, all is fine. I am watching all around me, when, I get the feeling something is not right, other than being half asleep, I discovered that there was a distinct tilt to the ladder!  Not only was there a tilt, but it was still tilting! :o  Well since I was sitting on the top of the ladder, I couldn't quickly step down to a lower level to fall, so as you said everything was in slow motion, well this actually was!  as I reached a level almost horizontal, I jumped off the ladder, and hit the muck, with my knees slightly bent, and then fell forward, and my TC Hawken went barrel first about a foot into the muck! :P  I was only jarred a bit.  Then had to take the primmer cap off, and use the ramrod to get all the muck out of the barrel, plus some raps on the barrel against the ladder.  Then checked with the ram rod, with the line I had scored around it, that the bullet depth was still where it should be, reassembled my rifle, put the cap back on, and was ready to hunt...... somewhere else.  So I set the ladder up near the outside of the myrtle head, so the owner, would know where it was, and trudged back to my truck for lunch, and re planning   I was lucky, I wasn't fully asleep.  Anyway, my friends knew I was at Brown's farm, but not where, so by the time anyone decided to come looking, it would be dark, and I would be carried off by mosquitoes big enough to stand flat footed, and take uninvited liberties, of a turkey, so to speak.  I hit hard enough to cause me to check myself slowly.  Could have been worse, could have hit one of the broken myrtle limbs, and broken, or jabbed something.  But the harness does have it's place.  But I have wondered how do you get down if you do fall, or your ladder is no longer where it was?  I know some units have a safety cord, that lets you down slowly.  But then you have to buy another unit.  But that is cheaper, than the hospital, and therapy! ;)
I hope you continue to feel better.  But it would not be a bad idea to get checked out anyway.  Money well spent. ;)

Wayne
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:08:15 pm by stickbender »

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 03:21:05 am »
I've made that noise ::) Thank goodness mine didn't go all the way down! Now when I set my ladder stands or anything for that matter Always have my safety vest And my lineman's belt With a ladder stand You have to get about halfway up Before you can swing around the tree Otherwise you just don't have enough rope... I got a hunters safety system Vast with the binoculars straps I sometimes wear when I am not even going up in a tree It's just that handy ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 09:28:25 am »
...and the Virginia is why only ground hunt.....
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Patches

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 03:28:50 pm »
Glad your OK.  On two different hunting trips I have had screw in steps come out of the tree while I had me full weight on them.  That feeling sure makes your butt pucker something fierce!  Luckily, I was ok both times.  I do not use screw in steps anymore either!
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 08:24:35 am »
You are lucky that's for sure.I have friends too with serious hitchs to live with  that resulted from tree stand falls.Falling in the dark can seem like it takes forever compared to a daylight fall.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline iowabow

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 08:48:54 am »
Must be do to the speed of light. If he falls and no ones around did he make a sound when he hit the ground.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 09:17:13 am »
LOL.......There is nothing to guage your distance while falling.Happens quick.I've had a few night time falls coonhunting.
Did the tree really fall in the forest if no one heard it?You bet your boots it did.........LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 11:00:08 pm »
Clint, I sure hope you're ok.. Falls once you are older than 18 hurt lots more..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.