Author Topic: Fell out of a tree tonight  (Read 5700 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Fell out of a tree tonight
« on: September 25, 2012, 10:43:29 pm »
I went out this evening to put up my last ladder stand before season starts.  My dad had helped me put up other stands last week.  He wasn't home tonight so I was by myself.  I leaned the 16' stand up against a tree on a hillside.  I wanted the stand to face across the hill.  After I leaned the stand up against the tree I realized I forgot to put the straps on that wrap around the tree and tie to the bottom part of the ladder.  It was getting dark so I decided to just go up and ratchet it to the tree real fast and then put the straps on.  I got to the last step before the platform and the ladder started leaning to the downhill side.  It was at this moment that I realized what was going to happen.  It is funny how things seem to happen in slow motion.  I started what seemed like a 30 second fall.  As I was falling I remember looking at where I was going to land and trying to figure out the best way to break my fall.  I also realized I was making these strainge noises as I was flying through the air.  It wasn't screaming or yelling, they were more of a grunting noise.  I have no clue why, it must have just been a natural reaction.  I held onto the ladder all the way down.  At the last minute I kicked off and went into a feet first baseball slide as I hit the ground.  I hit and slid down the hill a short distance.  I jumped right up and wasn't in any pain.  Somehow I managed to avoid breaking any bones.  I was shaking like crazy.  I guess it was from all the adrenaline.  I calmed down for a minute and then went back to putting the stand up.  This time I put the straps on first and moved the stand to the down hill side of the tree so it wasn't leaning.  I feel very lucky I wasn't seriously hurt.  I have a small area of road rash on my left hip and now that I have settled down for the evening my lower back is tightening up.  It could have been much worse.  I had told my wife I was putting a stand up, but I didn't tell her where I was going to be at.  From now on, I'm going to wait until someone can help me.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline iowabow

Re: Fell out of a tree tonight
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 11:03:31 pm »
You are lucky! I know three people that have fallen. One will be in a wheel chair for life. The other guy took 3 months to recover. The third is me not a scratch. I lost my grip coming down the ladder.  I started going with the two feet method rather than one over the other.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 12:12:49 am »
Glad you weren't hurt Clint. You might feel sore muscles for the next few days.
You should have a safety harness on any time you leave the ground, especially when you are alone.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 12:23:28 am »
Pat, I have tried wearing a harness while hunting, but I haven't put one on in a couple of years.  I don't feel like I can shoot a bow while wearing it.  A harness wouldn't have helped me today.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 01:06:37 am »
My huntin partners dont wear them either but I do,a guy fell and killed himself last year close to here. Never get in a situation where you have to take a chance.First rule of hunting fishing hiking or anything else is let someone know where you are.Im sure your wife likes you to come home safe. Im preaching at you? You betcha,nothing more important than safety.  ;)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 02:21:34 am »
Dang, Clint.  Man, I'm gad you're OK. 

Now, my story as a word of warning:  Late the spring of 2011 I was finishing up my workshop.  I was putting the ceiling in the 1/2 attic where I planned to store staves and wood.  So, my ladder was leaning against the 2x12 floor joist for the attic.  I had  made 100 of trips up and down the ladder during the building process.  I need to go down stairs. I swing my leg around the ladder then the other leg and the ladder starts siding.  I've had ladders to slide down a wall before so I was not too concerned UNTIL I realize this was not a wall.  In a moment the ladder would have nothing to lean against. I made an attempt to turn and jump, but it was too late. 

I fell, shoulder to floor about 10 feet on top of the aluminum ladder. My right hip just below the hip socket landed on one leg of the ladder my right forearm slammed onto the other leg.  I was certain that I'd broken my hip and my arm. But that was not the case. In 15 or 20 minutes I was moving around and finished the ceiling.

NOW fast foreward to August 6, 2012.  I woke from sleeping on my right side all night with a pain between my shoulder blade and my spine.  Now big deal.  I'll ice it, get in the hot tub, then ice it again.  I'll be fine.  But, I did call work to give them a heads up.  After the ice and heat and ice treatment I felt worst.  I couldn't lift a coffee with my right arm.  I called in sick and headed to the couch with an ice pack.

When I laid down my whole right side siezed up.  It was like I had the worst charlie horse in the world radiating from my right shoulder/back down my right arm to my wrist.  Every muscle in from mid back to my shoulder and down my right arm to my wrist were in cramps that were as hard as tapping on a piece of hickory.  I've never been in so much pain in my life. 

My wife wasn't home, so I called her to come home.  On our second phone conversation I was crying and screaming in pain.  If I hadn't been screaming, I'm sure I would have blacked out.  She called EMS.  The EMS and sheriff visist and my chiropractor calling in sick for the and my trip to the ER is too long of a story.  I will say from 12:30 to 5:30 the only position that was semi bearable was with my right arm raised over my head with my right arm bent at the elbow across the top of my head while pulling on it with my left hand.

Diagonist: I had pitched nerves cause by my second rib beeing dislodged from my spine and my sternum. Caused by blunt force traumma to my right side--falling of a ladder over a year ago.

Recovery and restrictions and treatment:  8 visits to the chiropractor the first week, 6 the next, 3 the following and 2 visits a week since.

I couldn't lift over 5 pounds the rest of August.  Archery deer season started here Sept. 1.  So, no practicing.  No bow building.  Straightening arrow cane shafts hurt.  I'm hunting with a 42# bow that I reduced the weight from 50# instead of the #58 bow that I had planned to hunt with this year.  Even now I don't think I could string the 58# bow let alone draw it.  I don't think I could grab a draw knife and peal the bark off an osage stave.

I truly hope your fall leaves you with nothing more than bruises.  I know you're the kind of guy like I was--I'll walk if off and be find.  But I HIGHLY recommend that you get xrays just to be sure that something does bite you in the arse later.  I would never wish the pain I went through on my worst enemy, let alone a friend.  Literally, if my pain would have been isolated to my arm instead of running through my torso, I would have wrapped a tournique around it, called 911 and gone to shop an removed it with a chop saw.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 05:55:25 am »
Glad you are ok ,I have fell a time or 2 also and got lucky,nothing hurt  but my pride. I still ant real safe but I do try to let someone know where I will be so they can at least gather the bones after the Yots get done with me. :) :) Be careful you have a  wife and yougun that depends on you.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 07:54:09 am »
Glad you walked away from it!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 08:18:47 am »
Wow pal  :o...u better be thanking n praising the maker  O:)

Offline agd68

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 08:56:37 am »
Pat, I have tried wearing a harness while hunting, but I haven't put one on in a couple of years.  I don't feel like I can shoot a bow while wearing it.  A harness wouldn't have helped me today.

Glad you were Ok You were very lucky. ladder stands are tricky enough going up with 2 people. As for the harness, kind of hard to get a wheelchair up a tree stand...
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 11:23:03 am »
I'm up and moving around this morning and my lower back is still a little tight, but not bad at all.  It's still hard to believe that 240 lbs falling from that distance didn't do more damage.  I feel very lucky.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 12:27:46 pm »
Dang! Glad your okay pal. I have done the same thing a bunch of times without falling backwards, I just leaned ahead and stopped the momentum............stupid I know. You just changed my mind about my stand setting methods. Glad your cool man.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 12:32:41 pm »
Glad your ok. Stuff happens quick you can get away with it a hundred times but it only takes once. I've fallen from just about everything. Most times when a person is in a hurry. Taker easy for a few days
Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 12:38:49 pm »
I did a similar thing that ended worse. I was at home after season ended and decided I would make a quick run by myself to my ladder stand and bring it home. I had help when I put it up. I climbed the stand and unhooked the tree ratchet. The stand immediately pulled away from the tree and I was sort of perched on top with the stand away from the tree. I turned to jump or grab another tree close by but it started slowly then accelerated falling. Worse part was it was a 15 foot stand and I had placed it on the edge of a down hill slope. Guess which way the stand falls. I suspect it added another 5 feet to the fall, but the slope allowed me to hit an roll down hill. After maybe 3 flops I stopped. Neither leg would move, but I was sitting up. Two things went through my mind. I just freaking fell, I can't believe it and my legs wont move, I've broken my back but it doesn't hurt. Then the pain started in my right leg and could slowly move both legs. I thought good I don't think I broke my back, but my leg hurts some. I started to stand and the little hurt in the right leg changed to holy crap and I recall screaming out. I then knew I was not walking on my right leg, so I sorta crawled to the stand and started pulling it to me as I took the sections apart. Once apart I took the cord for pulling my gun/bow up with and tied the pieces together. Still had it in my head to take that stand out??? I put the seat down and used the ladder steps to get to a standing position. For the next 8 hours, no really 30 minutes or so I pulled and leaned on the stand back to my truck. Lots of grunting and name calling on the way. Got the stand into the truck and me into the cab. Had to use my left foot togas and brake back to the house. I hopped into the house and got onto the couch and laid there exhausted and hurting. I had a cell phone the entire time but embarrassment/pride kept me from calling anyone. Her's the funny part. My wife calls and starts in on how our son had hit something with his fist and thinks he broke his hand. She was angry and I had to say, well I think I have broken my leg. 10 seconds of silence and she says, you better be BS me. Well, I went for xrays and I did break my fibula bone. Ended of with a DVT and had to take shots for I think 2 weeks then a blood thinner for a month. Couple more xrays and lots of down time. Great part was, I was back in action for turkey season...I was also very lucky getting by with just a broken fibula....I also told no one where I was going since it was just going to be a quick trip...
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 01:48:03 pm »
Glad your OK  Osage. Over the years i have had several close calls. One i was left hanging on a grape vine i was going to cut, but have been lucky and never actually fell. For the last few years i have used a climbing harness when putting up stands and never unhook without hooking up somewhere else first. After getting my stands hung i run a strong rope from above my stand to the bottom of the tree and use a prussic ( i think that's the right name) knot that slides up and down the rope to hook onto before i ever take the first step off the ground. It is more work and takes longer this way but I'm used to doing this way now, and i no longer worry about getting hurt or killed by being unsafe in my stands. Yes the harness sometime gets in the way, but falling is a lot worse than missing a chance at a deer. I strongly urge everyone hunting from a tree to take similar measures. If not for yourself then for your family.
Steve Bennett