Author Topic: hickory/horn/sinew  (Read 27699 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: hickory/horn/sinew
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2012, 08:30:54 am »
Ed
If you compare your bow to an Asiatic horn bow then you didn't put very much reflex into it.  I think that when you make a highly reflexed Asiatic horn bow then that is where hide glue would hold better than epoxy.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2012, 10:13:30 am »
The mention of an Asiatic bow to Lee was in response to him inquiring as to the thickness of horn I used on this bow.The amount of poundage gained.This bow by no means is getting the stress that an Asiatic bow gets and I did not mean that.I said it was a scaled down version of thickness laminations compared to an Asiatic bow.The amount of reflex I started with this bow was 7 and 3/8" before tillering.After it has shot somewheres of between 300 to 400 arrows it holds 4 and 3/4" resting overnight reflex.3 and 1/2" reflex is being put to the arrow after at least 2 hours of being braced and shot 50 times or so.Would you call that very much or not much?
My concern to keeping this bow reseilant through damp weather was the reason I tried to use multiple layers of barriers  on the back and on the belly to slow that down.What was the reason you used epoxy to glue your birch bark on?That is where the smooth on came in to use for me.I knew from the very beginning that this bow was not going to get the reflex that an Asiatic bow has.
I do see your point about the glue though.It is very possible the same amount of protection finish of lacguer could protect it using hide glue too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2012, 10:15:41 am »
I call it an Ed bow ok?.........LOL.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2012, 10:32:50 am »
Hey Ed, been thinking more on the horn prep part of your project.  Other than the youtube link, do you have any tips for thinning or prepping the horn?

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2012, 10:45:27 am »
At this time this bow shoots a standard weight arrow 577 grain with 4" fletching with a standard weight string 172 grain in the low to mid 170s.After being shot at least three times before testing.Not excellent but good anyway.It started in the upper 170s before shooting it in.That is with my release too which I'm sure could be improved.Personally I am satisfied.Until the next bow.....LOL.That is part of what I was going after too.Along with the durability.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2012, 11:55:17 am »
Actually Ed the point I was also making was that TB3 will hold a bow together when glued into reflex of around 5 or 7 inches as I have done it but it will not hold with 10 or more inches of reflex that an Asiatic has.  That is why I suspect smooth on will not hold under those conditions.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2012, 07:24:27 pm »
Yes I see your point, and quess you see mine.A good performing efficient long bow type of bow or semi recurve or recurve is what I like at this stage for hunting and goofing around with my friends at 3D shoots.Nothing much shorter than 56".I guess it is still out there yet then as to whether smooth on would hold an Asiatic bow together on the belly.My glass bow making friends make R/D and recurves.The recurves work in a very small portion of the bow and mostly are their faster bows.The shortest in the 52" range.What did the titebond 3 failure look like?
By the way how much back set did your sinew backed birch bow retain after shooting three to four hundred arrows through it and being braced for hours at a time?I know in the article you said you started with 11" before tillering.
BowEd
Ed

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2012, 10:22:43 pm »
Very nice bow, Beadman.  Very nice....    ;)
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2012, 08:22:26 pm »
How do you tiller a bow with horn on the belly.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2012, 09:58:20 am »
I don't know how someone else might do it but in order not to lose the actual thickness of horn I belly trap,side tiller,and maybe if need be very slight reduction in thickness of horn by sanding.Now in order to be able to do this you must start out with enough width in your limbs to accomplish this.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2012, 08:59:13 pm »
Don't know how I missed this one but I'm glad I got to see it. Beautiful work. Great looking bow.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2012, 09:34:41 am »
Thanks Mike and Dvshunter.Sometimes little rewards come to those who wait.....LOL.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2012, 06:38:05 pm »
Wow!  You've definitely created a lethal thing of beauty there.  I really love the full draw look...

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2012, 01:09:07 pm »
Where do you get your horn at for the belly.
Rob

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2012, 08:31:18 pm »
Thanks onebownder.
BowEd
Ed