Author Topic: Black walnut question.  (Read 1108 times)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Black walnut question.
« on: September 24, 2012, 09:30:44 pm »
I found a walnut tree today that was blown down in a storm. I think it was in a storm we had at the end of june. I cut four sections out of it 66 to 72 inches long 8 to 10 inches diameter heart wood is 3 to 4 inches diameter. I split all in half sealed ends and sprayed with pesticide. Bark is set tight is why i didnt peel yet. Anyway i have been seeing the fine black walnut bows SOY has been making from dead walnut heart wood that the sapwood was rotten on, and i was wondering if i should only use the heartwood from this or would the sapwood still be good?
Steve Bennett

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Black walnut question.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 09:33:45 pm »
I've seen good bows made from both :) but I'm a heartwood man myself :D
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:01:31 pm »
I have no idea how to tell if the sap wood is good or not.i guess if it feel solid, and don't look decayed i would give it a whirl , hopefully gun doc or another walnut guru will have a better answer... just make sure to have it down to 1 growth ring...
 and thank you for the compliments ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 11:15:07 pm »
If you're sure it's only been down since June, your probably good.  I have no doubt about the heartwood being good.  I would probably peel em and seal em now to avoid any further chance of decay.  If you take a slice or thin split off the side of the stave and let it dry a couple days, you can then see how far it bends before breaking.  That simple test will tell you a lot about the integrity of the wood.  Josh

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 12:48:58 am »
Thanks for the replys. Im sure it wasnt down before june. Theres apiece about 6 inched wide by 2 inches thick,all  sapwood that split off when it fell. I think i will work lt down to floor tiller and bring it inside to dry and see what it does.
Steve Bennett