Author Topic: Hold at anchor, or not?  (Read 7194 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Hold at anchor, or not?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 07:42:12 pm »
    I gap shoot and hold sometimes as much as 3 seconds. You must be in archery condition to do so or it will cause many problems. Been shooting 52# hickory flatbow for 3 yrs. and haven't seen any damage to bow yet. No visible set or weight loss anyway...My bow is near 68" and draws to 26" I can see where it could damage a shorter bow though.
                                                Don
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 07:48:29 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 08:36:46 am »
 I would say there's no right way.  You have to do what feels natural and works for you.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 08:53:37 am »
My only concern is the bow itself. As mentioned self bows dont like to be held at draw for long. I watched a mulberry bow I gifted a guy go from a solid bow to junk in a weekend. He held for 4-5 seconds each time and the lower limb had enough and just took on 3" of set. It still shoots, but its ugly. Not his fault by any means, just an observation of mine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 09:22:09 am »
  I'VE NEVER HAD A BOW BROTHER BY IT. But I've never sold a bow that someone held for 4 or 5 seconds when shooting. But

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 09:25:52 am »
  But I guess 5 seconds over time would ,could make that happen. I can't see a second or 2 hurting your bow. But to hold 2 seconds is a long time to hold.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 09:26:25 am »
It was odd to see Roy. Ive watched 1000's an d 1000's of people shoot all kinds of bows, none held that long. Even wheely folks dont hold that long. But hey, if it works do it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 09:27:30 am »
Yah, five seconds is a long time, you know it may have been longer? All of us in the group cringed, a few where ready to yell, "Let it go!" like it was a grenade!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 01:44:41 pm »
It was odd to see Roy. Ive watched 1000's an d 1000's of people shoot all kinds of bows, none held that long. Even wheely folks dont hold that long. But hey, if it works do it.

I've shot with wheelie folks that held for well over 30 seconds on each shot.  I believe that is primarily due to back tension releases.  If it weren't for the "2 minute rule", 3D shoots would be so slow they'd not be worth the trouble.  My brother, who shot for PSE, used to complain all the time about feeling rushed to get his shot off in 2 minutes.  Of course, that included the time he spent staring at the target trying to guess the range.   In my experience, the more serious the compound shooter, the slower they shoot. That's why there are time limits imposed.  At a 3D they almost always let us shoot through since it only takes a whole group of traditional/primitive shooters just a few seconds to shoot.  We have a lot more fun too.

Having said that, I think many traditional/primitive shooters would benefit from shooting a little slower.  A lot of us aren't really making it to full draw.  But, 5 seconds is a loooong time to hold a primitive bow at full draw.

George
St Paul, TX