Author Topic: Shooting shortbows  (Read 6065 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Shooting shortbows
« on: September 18, 2012, 10:11:27 pm »
I've always heard people say that short bows are less accurate than longer bows.  I've been shooting an assortment of bows trying to figure out which one to hunt with this fall.  I've been shooting bows I got from Blackhawk and Pearl Drums as well as two that I have made.  The one I am doing best with is my short sinew backed bow.  It's only 49.5" long.  I am stacking the arrows with it.  I shoot the rest of the bows OK, but there is a noticeable difference.  I only practice at 15 yards because that is as far as I plan on shooting while hunting.  Tonight I took a few shots at a 25-30 yards with the short bow and I am still hitting where I'm looking and grouping arrows.  I was very suprised.  Does anyone else shoot better with a short bow?  Would it have anything to do with me being a little vertically challenged?  My full draw is 24-25".  I am hoping to get my first primitive bowkill this fall, either a groundhog or a deer.  I would be happy with either.  The deer would tast better though  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TRACY

Re: Shooting shortbows
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 10:52:14 pm »
Clint, sounds like it's an easy choice to me based on your accuracy ;D I've got a couple Osage / sinew shorties that are low 50's @ 26" that pack a good punch at 50 &  52" ntn. I shoot one of my first hickory bows (66 ntn) with 2" of set because I can shoot consistent groups and it has taken out several deer.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 10:57:18 pm »
I shoot an assortment, Clint. My go to osage is 64" and my go to glass bow is 42", both 60# and my draw.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline handirifle

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 03:22:14 am »
The correct statement SHOULD be, shooters are more accurate with longer bows, than short ones.  The longer bows are more forgiving of mistakes.

When I used to shoot compounds all the time I bought a High Country twin cam bow.  Everyone told me, "it will be the most frustrating, inaccurate bow you ever owned, because it has twin cams AND it's short.  By the way it was longer than MANY of the newest compounds on sale now.

I used that bow in a couple dozen competitions we held there, and I kicked the butt of every one of the folks that warned me away from that bow.  On one shoot, we held was a 2 man team shoot.  My teammate was a former pro shooter, and he and I traded top scores for our team.  He always shot his target bow.

It's not the bow, it the shooter.  But short bows are demanding of perfect form.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 03:54:00 am »
Well I don't know what's going on because I can assure you that I don't have perfect form. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 05:52:30 am »
Wished that was the case with me,because I have some sweet shorty's and shoot them OK ,but I shoot a 62/64 better,at least more consistent.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 04:56:23 pm »
LOTS of regurgitated info gets passed along the web pal. Short bows not shooting well is just another along the way. Real experience counts, now you have some!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 05:08:51 pm »
One good thing about a shortbow is that it will fit inside my locker at work.  I have a feeling that groundhog is going to die tonight  >:D 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 05:46:14 pm »
Kill 'em!

I with Pappy. I shoot a longer bow better myself, but I have shot all kinds of bows to get to that point. I think your shorter draw may lend itself to accurcay shooting a shorter bow. My limit seems to be in the 60-61" ntn range.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 05:02:44 pm »
I can't tell much difference in the accuracy of my homemade bows... i have them everywhere from 54" to 73" and one seems to shoot as accurately as the next to me...  I don't shoot much over twenty yards.  Some of them are more pleasant to shoot than others, and I think the bows in the 62 - 68 inch lengths seem to shoot sweeter - unless you count the little short bow that halfeye sent me.  It is accurate and sweeeeet!  i hope i can build one like that someday.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 04:13:04 pm »
I think it is more of an individual situation and blanket statements simply don't hold true in all situations. A shorter person like me or you often finds a shorter bow more comfortable and often a short bow will perform better for us, then a longer bow shot at a short draw length.   I found that a 58-60 inch bow is what I shoot best with. Longer bows just feel sluggish with my short 25" draw. So my input is find what feels best and stick with it, even if someone or some book says different.

Offline half eye

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 08:45:06 pm »
That thing is stackin arrows and shoots where ya look out to 30 yards? shouldn't be no question at all.... 8)  Course I'm costantly bein told I dont know shit from shine-ola too, but all my huntin bows are short, and strong, and shoot where I'm lookin. Them other fellas aint gonna be doin the huntin, you are, so shoot what your best with.
rich

Offline Newindian

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 09:10:25 pm »
I'm more accurate with my 34 inch than my 60 inch, but either way I still stink at shooting
I like free stuff.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 01:51:35 am »
Shoot what you feel comfortable with! My wife has a great recipe for gopher pie if you want it.

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 11:02:42 pm »
For me it has more to do with mass weight of the bow, proper arras and looks.

Sorta like women...