Author Topic: My First Bow  (Read 3886 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
My First Bow
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:54:32 am »
I've been reading a lot about "my first bow" on this forum so I decided I would like to tell the story of my first bow (and then some) but I also would like to read yours.

When I was a young'n (7) I built my first bow from a cherry branch and a piece of bailing twine. my logic was to make the big end small and it would work like the bigger people's bows! And it did work but not the best tiller, and I was so excited that I showed my dad..... But my dad being...well my dad, said "very nice son" and went back to sleep in his chair.
Then when I was 14 yrs old, I had read about bows and how they where constructed, never really understood but I had a basic understanding of the process. The one wood that stuck out to me was yew, I had seen it when i went hiking and fishing.
When me and my father where return from a fishing trip on the Nehalem river, some workers where taking care of a tree that had fallen over. I recognized this tree, it was pacific yew. I had my dad pull over and convinced the nice old worker to let me have a branch, he asked what for?
And I replied, "I want to make a bow."
"then here you are young man."
I took the fresh branch and I stuck It under the house. Didn't seal the ends or nothing, just threw it under there.
After I thought it was dry enough I whittled a bow out of it :) it was 45" ntn 1" wide pulled 38#@ 21"
No sapwood and the back was slightly violated.
Later. When I was 14 we moved and set up home in a new town. We happened to live next to a man who was a Siletz native American and he built bows!!! But he scared me.
One afternoon he saw me shooting a glass recurve I had picked up at a garage sale. He shouted at me
"hey boy! Come over here!"
So I did lol he opened up his garage door as I walked over. There was stacks and piles of yew and Vinemaple.
"have you tried making your own bow?"
"yes, but I'm afraid it didn't turn out so good that's why I have this." looking down at the glass bow in my hands.
He instructed me to go and fetch the bow I had made.
"well, the wood is good....and it shoots. Looks like a good bow to me" he reported.
" would you like to learn more?"
And without hesitation"YES!"
He took no short cuts with me, but was very patient and taught me to make, what you would call a "paddle bow" along this journey he told me how, when, and where to harvest yew and Vinemaple. Harvest from the uphill side and from trees that are under cover bc there struggle for life made the wood stronger, do not harvest from a place near the ocean or salted air. Vinemaple needs to grow out, and then back up. Blah blah blah.
Though some of these things might not be true, but of his own superstition and belief.
Later he taught me how to apply sinew to the back. Oh boy was that painstaking.
He told me if sinew was going on the back then the white sapwood has to be removed, and he did so rather indiscriminately and violently with his draw knife.
I should mention this man was no Ishi, he was just an old truck driver who built the occasional bow, and liked his fire water :) he had no children, I think this was his way of passing it on.
A few bows later and I was junior in high school... Gave my bows away and became a troubled teenager who would set park benches on fire and get in a lot of fights... You know the typical stuff hahaha
I turned 21 in 2011 and decided to go hunting for the first time in years..... Problem was I didn't have a bow... So I decided I would make one. And as I carved, hacked and rasped a piece of Vinemaple I relized what I had left behind. Began building more bows, found this forum, joined up and fou d that bows can be made from more than the woods I was taught, and some other methods I've never heard of before.
22 now, and have been experimenting with woods from my area and others. Loving every minute I spend in my garage, just whittling away! Very good stress reliever! Mind goes blank and you just focus on the wood.

Recently my niece built her first bow and I hope she sticks with it, and tells the story of "the time I built a bow with uncle Pinecone"

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: My First Bow
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 06:19:57 am »
Nice story,been to long for me to remember mine. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 07:34:01 am »
Pappy, that forgetfullness starts at age 60 ;)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 11:38:01 am »
The first bow i ever made was when i was around 4 years old. I wasn't allowed to have a knife,  so i just broke a branch out of moms lilac bush. Then i found a string and tied it on both ends and called it done. Broke a smaller branch from the same bush for an arrow. Then i promptly shot my sister. Boy did i get in trouble. Mom was even madder when she found where i got The branches. Up until my teens i made many more bows but my design was always the same and with green wood. I did carve out a flat bow once around age 8 but it broke when i tried to string it. Didn't have a clue about not violating rings. Once i hit junior high i pretty much gave up on making bows until about 12 years ago when i found an add for Jim Hamm's bows and arrows of the native American Indians. My wife ordered it for my birthday. About 2 hours after starting to read it i put it down so i could go cut 2 Osage trees. Hasn't a day gone by since that i haven't thought about bows.
Steve Bennett

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 01:40:14 pm »
Awesome read ,Bryce. And I'm sorry, but I can't help but smile everytime I think of that sweet little one calling you pinecone and why she did it. My little" Sweetpea" is turning 6 in Nov. and she is alot like your niece from the sounds of it.Great story once again. I think it's the destiny for all of us on this site to pass things on to anyone who will learn to make sure this knowledge doesn't get lost again.
Dave.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 02:01:21 pm »
Turtle, I still have my little cherry branch. Unfortunately it's been strung since the day it was made:)

Dave, making bows for friends and teaching others, it's priceless.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 02:15:37 pm »
Great story! i was the typical boy, made bows and other weapons of which to fight my sisters off  >:D fortuity i didn't know how to make a good bow until i had grown out of the "kill your sister" stage.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 02:24:25 pm »
I have 4 sisters, and they all knew when to run :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 11:03:52 pm »
I'm a sucker for a story with a good ending.  Your story is far from done, but I bet it has a good ending.  You may just get that "Pinecone" removed the way you are going.

Have you been able to stay in touch with your mentor?  I bet he'd like to hear where things stand these days.  Might do him a load of good to hear from you. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 01:35:17 am »
Great story, I bet we all have a great one to tell on how we got started.
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 04:08:16 am »
I'm a sucker for a story with a good ending.  Your story is far from done, but I bet it has a good ending.  You may just get that "Pinecone" removed the way you are going.

Have you been able to stay in touch with your mentor?  I bet he'd like to hear where things stand these days.  Might do him a load of good to hear from you.

Sadly he passed away a few years back :(
What's your first bow JW?
I think the Pinecone is a permanent feature of my person now :D

Great story, I bet we all have a great one to tell on how we got started.

We've all got a story of our first bow. What inspired you to start? How did it turn out?

I'm gonna take a photo of my first bow and post it so we all can get a good laugh :D

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 03:45:32 pm »
A while back I posted photos of my first bow.  Sadly, the crack across the back of the upper limb prevents me from getting a full draw photo of her.  She was a slug, but a joy to shoot.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 03:53:50 pm »
heres the bow i made at age 7. thought this would get a few chuckles :D :P 8)

Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 09:28:38 pm »
Sweet!!!!!!!         Now wheres the full draw?   ;)
Steve Bennett

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 10:17:45 pm »
That bow has some pretty decent tiller.  Not so bad at all!