Author Topic: Bamboo Backing - What type?  (Read 1905 times)

Offline ScottN

Bamboo Backing - What type?
« on: September 15, 2012, 10:30:03 pm »
Is there a specific type of bamboo that works best or is preferred for bow backing?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:01:36 pm by snibbling »
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Bamboo Backing
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:52:32 pm »
From what I've read, mosa bamboo is the best. But it all seems to work. I could be wrong though.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline SA

Re: Bamboo Backing - What type?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 11:38:38 pm »
i use mosa, i think because it gets bigger in diameter so it has less crown when split for backing.
Shawn Acker

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 02:37:34 am »
Moso is the most convenient but it is far from the best. Tonkin and Madake are the best.

Offline ScottN

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 03:20:23 am »
thanks for the replys guys!

I live in Northern NJ and am looking into maybe starting to try and grow my own. I read about Yellow Groove and Blank Bamboo being able to stand up to the temperature's of my location. From looking at pictures on the internet of them, they look like they grow big enough to be able to flatten and use as backing.

Anyone have experience with these specific strains?
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 08:36:54 am »
I've not read any success story about flattening bamboo. Some have tried, none have succeeded.

Bamboo is quite cheap; why not buy a pole you can select yourself? Before the plant reaches maturity, it might take a few years. And then only a few stems might be enough quality to serve as a backing.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline ScottN

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 01:32:52 pm »
Sorry for the confusion DarkSoul. When I said flatten, I meant going at it's belly with the planer to "flatten" it.

Since the passing of a relative, the garden in the backyard is starting to look pretty dismal.  I don't mind if it might take a few years to mature, I've got nothing but time. 

There is already some smaller bamboo growing that I use to practice arrow making with, though not very good yet.  Thought I might try my hand at the bigger stuff   :D