Author Topic: arrow length  (Read 5544 times)

Offline anasazi

arrow length
« on: September 15, 2012, 03:53:30 am »
Would my arrow length change with a bow with a shorter draw length? My normal draw length is 28 in but i am building a short bow where i figure the draw length will be closer to 16 in and  about 60# +/- how would a shorter arrow affect accuracy?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: arrow length
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 01:21:03 pm »
Your longer arrows may shoot just fine from a shorter bow. I think longer arrows clear the bow easier anyway. You will just have to try and see what happens.
 I draw 26" but build my arrows to 29" or 30" and I shoot these arrows from a 68" bows or my 53" sinew backed osage.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 05:23:30 pm »
Just like longer bows are more forgiving to shoot, I feel longer arrows are more forgiving, too. 

I used to shorten my arrows as much as possible, fiddling with tuning them over and over.  Then I ended up with a dozen shafts that were too heavy for me to shorten them....and suddenly was shooting much better groups.  Maybe they are mnot more forgiving, maybe I am subconsciously using the extra length as my mind is aiming the shot.  Or maybe they are so long they are already closer to the target while still on the bow. 

Who cares, I like the results.

Your mileage may vary, offer void in Massachussets, tax/title/license not included, brush after every meal, always serve chilled.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline anasazi

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 12:59:18 am »
I might have to play around with it some. Right now i am trying out shoots and i just found some reed grass close buy so i need to try that also. And finish my two bows. Hey does any one have some free time they want to give up i seem to be running a little short on that.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 09:27:07 am »
I would start by shooting with arrows as long as possible, observe their flight and adjust their lengh accordingly.  Arrows which are too stiff normally fly to the left of target (for a right handed shooter) and to the right if not stiff enough (for a right handed shooter).  Like others have stated I seem to prefer longer arrows.  I draw 26.5" and use arrows 30" long, on average. 

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 11:57:19 pm »
I use to cut to draw length too, but the first time I broke a point was the last time I shot that one @ full draw.  Longer arrows mean more shots.   ;) break the tip, retapper or whatever, add a new point and get it back in a target....hopefully. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Matt B

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 01:11:19 pm »
Yeah, pretty much same as everyone said. I was told by a traditional archery teacher to add 2" on to your draw length for your arrow. That way you could probably break the tip 2ce before your arrow is too short to use.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 06:01:16 pm »
A 2 inch longer arrow really should be 10# more!

Having said that I have enjoyed shooting very long arrows at 48 inches or more. Basically reproduction Amazonian arrows. If they are stiff enough they then seem to go quite well from a variety of bows and though slow are somehow quite predictable to shoot.

I'v just made myself some short arrows at just about my draw length (after a gap of 6 years or so) to see whether I shoot long or short better. My feeling is that I'll always find the longer arrows somehow more fun and satisfying to shoot.

Mark in England

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 10:35:24 pm »
My suggestion would be to cut them to normal length for the bows that you normally shoot.
When using them to shoot out of your short draw bow, wrap sinew or whatever you have available around the arrow at the draw length required so as to give you a little bump or indication of that bows limit. I have no experience with short draw bows so this is only a suggestion.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 10:37:58 pm »
A 2 inch longer arrow really should be 10# more!

Mark in England

To Mark,

"A 2 inch longer arrow really should be 10# more!"

10# more what?  By adding inches you lower the spine weight. ??

dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 10:46:57 pm »
You actually do add spine by cutting them short and lower spine by leaving them longer. That is why I suggested leaving them the same length as you would normally use (if shooting the same poundage of bow no matter what the draw length of that particular bow).

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline billn

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 01:06:54 pm »
Shaft spine is a good starting point, but that is all. Not all bows of a given draw weight respond the same to a given spine arrow.

There are various things that can affect the best spine: Bow length, type of bow, bow construction, bowstring, brace height, type and weight of pile, how the arrow is released and whether the shaft is tapered or straight. There may be others that my currently foggy mind is forgetting.

Bill