Author Topic: Red Oak Board Bow Trade  (Read 11329 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Red Oak Board Bow Trade
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2013, 09:32:31 pm »
i believe it is to late to join this trade, however, each year there is a bow trade that takes place, you can join that one when it comes up, until then i suggest you keep making bows so your trade bow will be quality stuff
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline chachamooby

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2013, 07:43:23 pm »
Seems i Joined in a little late for this year. I'm in if you do one next Christmas though!
Hey--could you post some pictures? I love seeing different interpretations of the ole red oak stand by bows.
thanks!

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2013, 07:19:27 pm »
Ok guys-
   So far I have the bow shaped for the most part and the recurve tips are on. I brought the bow to 1/2 inch thick and it is looking great. The fades are in as well. My question for you now is I am going to back the bow with some thin rawhide so that it will make it through the tiller part hopefully than keeping it unbacked. DO I floor tiller the bow some more and then add the backing or should I put the backing on first and then start to floor tiller the bow. My thought it to floor tiller the bow out some and then add a little reflex into the bow so that the limbs wont have so much set. I know set is going to happen because it is red oak but if I can keep it under an inch I would prefer it. I am hoping to finish the entire tiller portion of the bow by the end of the week if I add the rawhide on tomorrow I will let it set up for at least this entire week.

Thanks guys for the input... I am really liking how this is turning out so far. Spent about six hours on it today getting it to this point. I would add some pictures later because I have no idea what is up with photobucket but I can't upload them.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2013, 09:56:24 am »
What kind of glue are you using?Are you done heating? If hide glue , it cures fairly quick. I tillered a cherry bow (pics soon)after  a day and half.If the glue is hard  ,not jelly , it should be good. (depending on drying conditions, and method of application) You just don't want to heat after backing. Backing can affect the tiller , so I do it first. Every one is different, just my methods.Good luck!

Offline autologus

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2013, 10:16:04 am »
I would get it to floor tiller, steam in the recurves and then back it.  Tiller it with the backing cured well because it will alter the tiller.  I made one recently and the rawhide I use was from a 24" rawhide dog dog bone and it was thick on one end so I cut 2 strips out of it and put the thick ends together at the handle with the thin ends at the tips and it turned out pretty well I thought.  Here is a link to the bow.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,36744.msg484338.html#msg484338

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 08:22:13 pm »
Just was curious how everyone was coming along. Today I spent about four hours working on my trade bow. Brought it down from 66 inches tip to tip and now it is 62 tip to tip. I have to shape the handles and fades a touch more but it is coming along nicely. The rawhide backing looks awesome and seems as though I did it correctly. I am going to take my time on the tillering part so that i don't make this into a two piece unusable bow lol.... PB is still being a pain in the #$*% and I can not upload any photos

Anyone know of another site that we can use to upload too

Justin, New Hampshire

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 09:54:57 pm »
Try tinypic.com, It's similar to PB, pretty much the same thing. Try it out.

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 10:06:54 pm »
I use Picasa, Googles photo site. Works great for me. Just copy the image location and paste here.

I have my trade bow roughed out and will be steam bending the tips this weekend. This is my first attempt at bending, so have my fingers crossed.
Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2013, 03:43:05 pm »
Hey guys...

How is everyone coming along?

Today I continued slowly getting the bow to bend and now its bending around 4/5 inches. At this point I am going to put it on the tree so the tip overlays are on.

ONE HUGE MISTAKE!!!! I forgot about the "letting the red oak shine" rule and put on bolo  tip overlays due to the fact that I make only around 12 strand strings.

Is this a NO-NO or will it still be within the rules... its still all red oak just wanted to blend a darker wood so it would contrast well with the handle wrap I have planned. If not to the grinder I go  :'(

Guys- It would be awesome if over the weekend we could get some pictures going on this thread... Lets all try and take a picture of our bows to show what stage they are in the game. I dunno about you guys but I drool over what could possibly be coming my way. Can we all try this?

Have a good day fellas..... Justin

Offline autologus

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2013, 03:58:48 pm »
No problem at all the only thing is make it from a red oak board with no other type of wood backing.  It can be backed with sinew, rawhide, silk, linen, paper ect...  Different wood for tip overlays, handles are ok.

Grady

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2013, 05:48:34 pm »
FEWWW!!! I am glad I don't have to ruin the tips I just put on... Looking forward to seeing this thing all the way though.

Here's another question for you bow board guru's.... On average what is the thickness for a 45-55# bow? I know that this depends on the board itself but is there a guide line of such?

Justin

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2013, 12:44:54 am »
All depends on the width and design. As for pics............ I got one finished up before Christmas but decided not to send it. Not up to snuff. Now I have to try to catch up after being off with the flu for almost a month. Should be starting in a week or two.Might try something totally different.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:49:10 am by lostarrow »

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2013, 04:08:45 pm »
I cut out new lams this weekend and re-started this project.  I spent some time re-designing the riser shape as well.  I've got the lams pre-bending prior to glue-up, which I should get to this weekend.  It's a good thing I still have some time left on this one... ::)

OneBow

Offline autologus

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2013, 04:14:46 pm »
Mine is ready to go on the tree, maybe I will have some time to work on it this weekend.

Grady

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2013, 06:53:53 pm »
Here is the design I came up with for the riser.  It starts from a full deminsions 2X1X11 inch Red Oak block.

OneBow