Author Topic: The hardest part...  (Read 12771 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
The hardest part...
« on: September 11, 2012, 12:07:27 pm »
Its totally agonizing for me to seal a new bow. My sealing process takes no less than 7-8 full days to work properly and it just KILLS me staring at a new bow....(or two) hanging there drying and not being able to shoot them. I know better than to cut corners on sealing so I continue in agony bow after bow after bow. Anybody else have a process that "kills" them during a build? Patience is far from my strong suit.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: The hardest part...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 12:29:17 pm »
Hate putting on grips,making a string and sealing,the rest is a pleasure. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 12:30:42 pm »
Good point Pappy. It seems I only like making it bend right and shooting it, the rest isnt so much fun.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 12:41:04 pm »
I sinew backed my first osage bow 2 1/2 weeks ago.  It's difficult to just watch it sitting on the reflex form on the dining room table.  A week and a half to go...
1’—>1’

Offline boughnut

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 12:41:25 pm »
tillering and shooting are most defenantly the most fun but if you think about it this way it helps keep the patience with the rest of it.  I most enjoy the completed finished product.  sealed griped tiped strung and all.  If I finish one and it does not come out as I pictured or close to it than In the end I have resentment on the whole project meaning I did not enjoy any of it.  But I I could pic on thing I hate the most it is making the dang strings I hate making strings just hate it but it is part of the finished product.  I actually enjoy the finishing work because I try to top my last one with each new one trying to make it more beautiful and better. also what helps me is while my coats of finish are curing I start on the next bow and try to not think to much about it.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 01:04:44 pm »
Yeah, making strings, tip overlays (as in other post) and sealing are the hardest parts.  Just itching to shoot that bow.  I usually take 4 days to seal a bow, 3 coats of tung oil, and than a 50/50 beeswax-mineral oil rub.  Seems to hold really nice for years, and you just reapply the beeswax-mineral oil once every year, or after a rough outing.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 01:09:21 pm »
I fully dip my bows Gabe. It goes on heavy and takes a good while to harden thoroughly. This last one is a real hum dinger and not shooting it hurts....

Offline boughnut

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 01:18:07 pm »
I fully dip my bows Gabe. It goes on heavy and takes a good while to harden thoroughly. This last one is a real hum dinger and not shooting it hurts....
when you make your dipping solution do you cut it with anything.  Does that have any effect on any glue on the bow with tip overlays or rawhide or sinew?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 01:40:02 pm »
I dont cut it at all Matt. I use Deft, Zip Guard or Helmsman urethane. I have dipped maybe 25-30 bows so far and none have had any ill effects from dipping. I especially love it with sinew, rawhide or skins. It totally soaks in and seals up everything. I was hunting last year with a sinewed bow in Indiana during a drizzle. The bow was sealed with Tru Oil and paste wax many times over. The sinew softened up on me in places and the bow dogged out on me. Thats when I switch methods and decided to skin EVERY sinewed bow. I love Tru Oil on naked bows.

Offline boughnut

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 02:18:23 pm »
I know a fella who cuts his with some type of thinner to make it cure faster and I would tend to think that when doing so it would have an effect on certain types of glues.  I can see how your process would take some extra time.  I have never dipped my self I just do many coats of hand rub and with the first few I steel wool it back to surface only allowing any voids and low spots to be filled.  then with the last 4 coats I put them on fairly thick with a light steel wooling between them.  takes extra time to do all this but sure is worth it in the end.  your method sounds bullet proof though I am going to have to try it.  I have also done some reading on how bamboo fly rods are finished and seems like they put it in some sort of tube full of there finish then presureize it which forces it deep into the wood.  I should look into that as well.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 02:28:57 pm »
it is a bit agonizing doing all the finish work, but I actually kind of enjoy it.  Mines more hands on.  My dad was a furniture restorer, so i have lots of appreciation for the finish process.  His favorite method of putting a shine on a table or desktop involved lots of elbow grease, 600 grit on a block, and rubbing the surface with lubricant until he could make out the 2 fluorescent light bulbs on the fixture 20 feet overhead!!  I always appreciated his patience and attention to detail.  he way undercharged for his work, but he taught me to appreciate the process of pertying up  a piece.  Of course i never get impatient with the process ::)  It does help for me having multiple projects going at different stages.

Chris, is your finish a double dip or single?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 02:54:02 pm »
Double dip on rawhide and sinew jobs and a single dip on any other bow Kevin.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 03:25:02 pm »
This is what im waiting on....  ;D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 03:30:15 pm by PEARL DRUMS »

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 03:30:02 pm »
It's not the hardest part but these are the things that I don't like to do.
Grips, tip overlays, making cherry bark shiny, applying the 12 coats of Tru-Oil.
Hahaha I guess I just like tillering and shooting lol

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 03:32:12 pm »
This is what im waiting on....  ;D

WHAT THE HECK IS ON THE WALL!!!!

One of them 4WD wheely peg shooters! >:D
Clatskanie, Oregon