Author Topic: Christmas in September!! Pic heavy!!  (Read 4018 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Christmas in September!! Pic heavy!!
« on: September 09, 2012, 07:38:45 pm »
Well....needless to say I had a pretty good couple of weeks. A couple months ago I was pickin at Half Eye about his and Howard's "private" trade. He said he'd be glad to do a trade with me and since I had finished my trade bow, I agreed. One word of warning...when you trade with Rich, you'd better be ready. Before I could even make up my mind on what kind I was going to make him, I got a real nice bendy handle ash-backed elm. It has a leather handle with floppy rest and is about 50# at my draw length. Here is a pic of the handle and tip. The string is mine (I frayed the artificial sinew string that came on it) so I replaced it with one from one of my recurves that fit perfect.

Full Draw...

After receiving this bow, I also got some staves in the mail from Rich. (hard maple and elm)

Well...in addition to this swap we had going on, Half Eye agreed to take over for my trade bow partner and in stead of making me wait on him to make one, he sent a temporary bow till he could get a new one done. You are probably familiar with this one. An elm, stiff handle short bow with antler rest and rattler skin.

Then, I got the latest one. A slightly longer rat skin backed elm self bow with stiff handle and cool lams at the handle fades.

Some things are just worth waiting for. Thanks so much, Rich, for great bows, staves, and all the great advice.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:19:36 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline bubby

Re: Christmas in September!! Pic heavy!!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 08:22:55 pm »
Rich is a heck of a bow builder and one hell of a guy, your a lucky dog lesken, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:40:13 pm »
That's for sure, Bub. I still haven't gotten his bow to him, yet. I had 2 failures back to back. a bamboo backed ipe and a bamboo backed osage. Looks like I made the same mistake on both. I tried to glue in some reflex and starved the glue line in the bend. I have a white oak molle almost finished and a hard maple backed ipe glued up. Wonder which one I am going to send him???? ??? ;)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:48:08 pm »
how are you clamping , i use inner tubes, get pretty equill  pressure that way, Bub

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 09:24:59 pm »
I used inner tubes too except where the bend was. I clamped it down and since I had pretty smooth surfaces, I think the glue just squeezed out. I probably should have roughed em up more...at least in that area. I'm gonna stick to straight glue ups for a while.

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 09:45:02 pm »
My pleasure Kenny. Hope they serve you long and well and put some meat on the table as well 8)
I aint worried one bit about gettin your bow.....
rich

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 09:57:56 pm »
Rich is a great fellow.....and a heck of a bow maker. :)
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 10:12:52 pm »
wrap them the whole length and put a block under the back @ the middle and clamp the tip's down, that way you get the same pressure all the way through, Bub

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 10:15:41 pm »
That would be much less radical than what I was doing and still accomplish the same thing. Thanks, Bub!

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 10:19:45 pm »
lucky man. LOVE that first bow. Great job rich.

Jon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 07:54:04 am »
Very cool,nice looking bunch of bows,all of them look great. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 09:07:02 am »
Way to go Rich.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 12:28:01 pm »
Wow Rich!!!  Over the top sir...  well done :)

Ken you are in business !!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Holmes

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 07:54:27 pm »
Those are some beautiful bows!!!

Offline seabass

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 10:31:54 pm »
you are a fine fellow Rich.the world needs more guys like you.btw,i still haven't found your fishing lure making book.where can i get a copy.i am dieing to read it and make some of the lures.i have looked at every lowes store around here.are they sold anywhere else?let me know buddy.i have to get a copy.
Middletown,Ohio