Author Topic: First time for everything  (Read 1193 times)

Offline YosemiteBen

First time for everything
« on: September 08, 2012, 01:08:24 pm »
I do not know about all of you primitive skills enthusiasts but this is a first for me! September 7th there was a commotion in the Indian Village here in Yosemite. I took a closer look and saw that El Foldo was stuck in an oak tree. He had gotten about a half inch branch wrapped around both antlers in the middle of shedding his velvet!  He was stuck and jumping around like a sword fish on the end of a line!  I finally got him to calm down and told him I would help him get loose.  After he took a minute to breathe he lowered his head and backed out and the branch just slid right off. He then headed for the next bush.  I also watched him eat his velvet off as it hung from his beams and off of the shrubs.  I did manage to get a small piece of it that came off during his wrestling match with the tree.  I usually see them in velvet and then after the velvet but this is the first time for during the removal of the velvet.

Offline seabass

Re: First time for everything
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 05:10:39 pm »
cool pics.i am glad it had a happy ending.here in the east they say apple orchards are the biggest killers of young bucks.they get caught in the thick branches tring to eat the apples.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 05:17:25 pm »
Cool pics, Ben.  Let the rut begin!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 04:46:01 am »

Neat pictures!  Lucky timing.  He looks like a nice one!  The little four point
here, has finally got all of his velvet off, but for a while he looked like he was wearing
dreadlocks! ;)
Glad he was able to  get untangled.  What does :El Foldo" mean?
I take it he is somewhat of a pet?

Wayne

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 01:01:11 pm »
@Wayne - naw he aint a pet - he does spend a lot of time around the museum and has for years. If you look at his right ear it had a cyst or something and is now permanently folded in half.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 02:30:04 pm »

Ahhhh, the old folded ear...... ="el Foldo".......
ok, thanks.  Here I thought I was going to expand my Spanish vocabulary..... ;)

Wayne